Login screen looks crazy/locks up when docking from sleep

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Hog Milanese, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

I'm not sure if this is a hardware, software, or OS issue...

I have a 15" rMBP (mid-2015) with El Capitan. With the lid shut, and the laptop asleep, I plug it into my two displays (same Dell 24" displays), one via HDMI and one via miniDP.

Lately, when I do this, one of the displays shows a fractured image of the login screen, with all kinds of artifacts, lines, and black areas ... then the beachball ... and then nothing. I have to open the lid, shut it down, and boot it up again.

When I do that, so long as one of the display cables is plugged in, it lets me login as normal.

Any ideas?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

A little more information would be useful.
    Do you have a dGPU?
    What happens when you start up, run without any of the external monitors attached, and wake it up from sleep?
    "one of the displays shows a fractured image of the login screen" Which display connected to which port?

My first impression is that you have a new MBP with warranty and you should contact Apple Support for hands on evaluation.

3. Hog Milanese thread starter macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Yes, it has a dGPU.

No issues when you start the laptop from sleep (only when plugged into a monitor).

The monitor with the miniDP cable is the one that shows craziness. The other one stays black, while the main one freezes and forces a reboot.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

My guess, over the internet, is that it could have a hardware problem. It could be something as simple as the miniDP cable or something more severe like the GPU/logic board. I would recommend making a Apple Genius appointment so they can run tests.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

having the exact problem on my 2015 15" MBP (with the dGPU). I think it's software related. The public betas never did this, but as soon as i upgraded to the GM release, i can no longer reliably plug my sleeping MBP back into my display and wake it. Really frustrating. never done so many hard reboots before.

6. Hog Milanese thread starter macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Are you still having the issue after 10.11.1? I haven't had it occur today, but it could be a fluke...

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

yeah, it was the first thing i tested after updating :\