Login Screen "Other" is not there

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adam9c1, Mar 11, 2016.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I have several clients on the network which only show up with the local user name to login. I know there is a key combination that needs to be pressed at the login scree to bring back the Other...

It happens so rarely that I did not document it in the past and now of course unable to find this info online.
    (I do push the look and feel of the login via a profile but it looks like it does not always work).

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Turn on Guest Users in your Users prefs panel.

3. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

It's not for guest account, but for network accounts.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

the "Other" account is also NOT a network account.
    The "Other" user account will show up on the login window when you have the Root user enabled.

And, it's not a good idea to leave the root user enabled. You would do that if you have a purpose for the higher level privileges that gives you, but that also leaves your computer open for outside attacks when that root level (superuser) is left active.

5. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

not true
    you need other to login as a network account, or u have list of accounts

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The "Other" account is not a network login, per se.

Can you display the "Other" account on the login screen, when the root user is NOT enabled?

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Sorry, I mis-interpreted what you were asking for.

After re-reading your subject line, it appears that you want to be able to type a Username/Password combo to log-in, without being stuck with a pre-set list of users.

First, make sure you have Name and password checked next to Display login window as: in the Users & Groups/Login Options prefs panel. For most people, that's enough to get what they're looking for.

But I suspect what you're looking for (the "Other" input box on the login screen) requires you to have a Network Account Server set up to begin with, or as DeltaMac stated, you'll have to turn on Root User.

You can turn on root user by:
    Click the Network Account Server: Join button
    Click the Open Directory Utility... button
    Click the Lock icon in the lower left and type your admin password
    Go to the Edit menu and enable the Root User

8. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

The computer is bound to Active Directory.

I have experienced this bug in different environments (two AD environments and one local network) and a key combination at login screen reverted back / showed "other".

9. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Yeah, servers set up with AD tend to be a pain in the butt for Mac users. We use it where I work and every 3 months or so we're required to change our login password via a prompt/dialog box at login time. Every 3 months I have to find a Windows machine not being used to login and change my password because that feature rarely works on a Mac.