login screen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by N-Y, Oct 12, 2011.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

so i made the latest update.... but now on my login screen i have my own login, but now there is a second option for guest, which i don't want to be active, or show, how can i remove it?

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Same issue here. Thought I did it somehow when playing with Find My Mac.:confused: Very annoying... but at least its not just me.

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Me three.

Guest account is disabled (always has been) but the login screen shows me and guest. Can't get the guest to drop.

Looks like another checkbox bug. Lion was full of these with the initial release.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

really sloppy on apple's part. i don't want ANYONE logging in to my mac but me, and this should NOT be there...especially if i am disabling it in Sys Prefs..!

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I can't try this because I'm downloading the Xcode update. But in another thread, someone said that going into System Preferences, going to iCloud, and turning OFF Find My Mac fixed the issue. Supposedly that guess account is there so you can connect to WiFi and track it down when a stranger uses the Guess account?

Can someone turn off Find My Mac, restart, and report back and let me know of thats the issue?

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

So the guest account is only there for bait? :eek:

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

wow. thanks. that does fix it. but...it means, to use 'find my mac', we have to leave our macs accessible to anyone? so someone can turn on my mac, login, wreak havoc? 'find my mac' needs a better implementation.

am sticking with "prey" for now...

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think that's the whole point. If your account is password protected, the person that steals the computer wouldn't be able to get into that, and if there is no guest account the computer would be absolutely useless to them so it would more than likely be in sleep mode or powered off completely, thus making Find My Mac useless, yes?

And btw, with the guest account no one can "wreak havoc". It doesn't allow any administrative actions to be taken (installing apps, changing things that affect the whole computer), plus every time the account is logged out it resets itself and deletes any content and changes made.

9. N-Y thread starter macrumors regular

it worked!!!
    good to know about this feature though

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

No. That guess account is even more limited than the other guess account that you can turn on. This one reboots the machine, and you are in a Safari only mode. (no file access) Still annoying though. Actually this was part of that Lion recovery update that came out. You need that update to use Find my Mac. Not a fan on this implementation though.

Then they screwed around and messed up Launch Pad. Hate the large icons. :mad:

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

ah, safari only? ok not so bad. and, yeah, the GIANT icons...ugly.

12. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze