login to mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 76ShovelHead, Jan 15, 2015.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Is it possible to log into my mac from another mac on the network? Something like as NAS setup where I can log into my user account from say the kitchen computer?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you want to view/edit files on the other machine or view/interact with its desktop as if you were at the machine?

3. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Option two lol. Like they used to have the eMacs/iMacs setup at school, you walk up to anyone of em' and log in... Boom you have your desktop and all the files/apps etc.

How do you do this in OS X?

Doing this would get rid of the need to have multiple user accounts at each machine... Say I have an account on my computer and my family all has their own computer/account, and then we have a shared computer in the living room, with like 10 accounts (hypothetically speaking of course). This would get rid of the need to have so many different accounts and files scattered across machines throughout the house.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Is there another (native) way? Because despite our internet speed (90mbps) the wireless and even wired network is very choppy with video even if the computer is in the same room.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is about as good as it will get without file sharing.

7. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

So if NAS is unavoidable, can I set up a Network Account Server from my main mac to host the user accounts through OS X Server? Then configure the other macs to join said server? Or do I need something like FreeNas?

Prefer to stay with OS X on everything than have to go through the hassle of installing some server client os thingy and configure it... At least I can find my way around OS X.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could do that, it would be a bit advanced and could be slow in some cases, but you could certainly do that.