Login / Touch ID issues

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by olliebojangles, Dec 19, 2016.

1. olliebojangles macrumors newbie

olliebojangles

Good evening,

I was curious to see if anyone else has had this issue. After talking to Apple tech support for an hour (which led to a reinstall of the operating system), I am still at square 1.

1st - When I log out of my profile, I am unable to use Touch ID to log back in, I have to manually input my password. However, I am able to see my iCloud picture.

2nd - When I restart the computer, I am unable to use Touch ID or see my iCloud picture, just the black person image with my name.

Anyone have any hints or tips to try and sole these issues? I was hoping to use Touch ID to eliminate the need for password entries, but it appears that I can't use Touch ID at all (even after setting it up each time).

Computer is a 2016 MacBook Pro (see signature for specs)

cheers

2. thejasonhowell macrumors regular

thejasonhowell

The same can be said for attempting to login with an Apple Watch. It just doesn't work.

Maybe the infinite wisdom at Infinite Loop is the same for both?

Can't explain the iCloud photo though.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I'm not entirely sure about your 1st issue. As to your second that is by design, the same way that you have to use a passcode on your phone when you reboot it. If you are using FileVault then it also needs the password in order to decrypt the storage.

4. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Sounds like Apple is using the same strategy they use with the iPhone/iPad. You need to log in to use Touch ID (and the Apple Watch to unlock). Seems like that's what they designed to happen. The second problem suggests you have FileVault 2 enabled, as WordMasterRice suggested. If that's the case, it can't see the image on your hard disk until after you've unlocked it.

5. chentl macrumors newbie

For the second problem, it seems to be a bug which I have encountered, too. I fix it by setting my account avatar again (randomly choose another avatar, then select my original avatar picture back again).

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Issue 1: this is by design. Just like on iOS. You must type your password in from a fresh boot.

Issue 2: Sierra software bug.