loginwindow process not responding - erase and install does not help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tibike, Sep 27, 2009.

1. tibike macrumors newbie

A couple of days ago i ran into some problems with my macbook (version 3,1). some processes are not responding (loginwindow and systemuiserver), apple menu items are not responding (meaning no shutdown or restart) and i get a 10+ min. blue screen on startup.

Safe mode looks ok (except no sound - that could be some other issue) and testing with leopard disk shows no hardware errors and no problems with disk permissions.

NOW! the big problem is that i tried to reinstall the OS using erase and install with different startup disks (leopard and snow leopard) and the problem persists. I mean i deleted every inch of the hard drive (including efi - ??) with no results. :eek:
    Still safe mode works well. I tried some tricks i found on forums (like deleting startup items - i have no startup items (!?), and deleting com.apple...plist file) but none seemed to work.

note: my guess is that it's a network issue as i was just copying some stuff from a local network (my linux desktop).

second note: this guy's post is similar (but without the erase and install stuff). http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=793654

any guess anyone ???

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you upgraded the memory, if you have swap factory memory back in, if you haven't and there are 2 DIMMs remove 1 and try a reboot with only 1 DIMM in.

Could be an issue where a DIMM is hanging the machine, but not crashing it.

If you've wiped the drive, then it may not be a SW issue, and Safe Boot may not be using a specific bad spot in memory.

3. tibike thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice.
    i have no outside hardware or peripheral.
    but I'll try it out.

4. tibike thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope! Not the RAM.
    Now I installed Windows XP and it's running great. That's kind of ironic...