Logistics of buying MBP w/upcoming upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sparkdog, Aug 27, 2008.

  1. Sparkdog macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2008
    #1
    So, I know the whole "should i wait to buy a macbook" question has been done to death and is based entirely off of speculation, but I have a slightly more specific question(s). What Im not really sure of (since i dont have any experience paying attention to new apple hardware releases) is this: Is there going to be a timeframe where the tech specs and pricing on the (supposedly) redesigned MBPs will be available, but I'll still be able to buy a current gen MBP new from Apple?

    In other words, if the upgrades to the processor, max ram capacity, graphics etc are not that significant and its mostly a cosmetic change, and i decide i like the current, more proven mbp model, is there going to be a window of time where theyll still be available. Or does apple just drop the new product with zero advance info and the old models are instantly gone forever (besides refurb, which id prefer not to do).

    Also, could I buy a current gen model, keep it unopened until the new ones come out, and return it brand new for a refund and get one of the new ones?

    How do these things usually play out? Thanks so much in advance for any help.

    Also FYI, Im planning on buying a 17inch MBP with 2.5mhz processor, 2GB ram (with plan to probably upgrade to 4gigs at some point) and upgrades to a 7200rpm hdd and the higher res screen. Also, I am a student so i get a $200 discount on MBPs (plus the whole get the free ipod, sell it, and then get the rebate plan is a factor in my decision too).
     
  2. patmort02 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2006
    #2
    You can buy from the reurb store and get a discount. As far as getting a brand new one, you might have to look on ebay or craigslist.


    I believe macmall also sells prior generation models brand new.
     
  3. Sparkdog thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2008
    #3
    Thanks for your response. I know there will be alot of this type of stuff spamming the forums in the next month or so, and I probably could have searched more thoroughly, but thanks for a legit attempt at addressing my concerns.

    Also, for the sake of anyone searching for scraps of information like I have been, it seems Apple's 2-week catch-all return policy only applies to products that have been purchased at the pre-established factory specifications, not the made to order models like the one I described in my first post in this thread. So, the buy and wait for a possible return option won't be working for me.

    I've decided to wait until more info becomes available to make my decision. Apple still indicates that I have until Sept. 15 to buy a current MBP with the free ipod deal, and even if that deal ends up expiring before specs on the new MBP models are made available, I should hopefully be able to choose between buying one of the "new" MBPs with my student discount or buying one of the current gen MBPs from macmall at a discounted price. Thanks for the info.
     

Share This Page