Logistics of Upgrading iPhone While Trying T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordii, Sep 4, 2015.

1. jordii, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

jordii macrumors regular

I’m still using a 5c, so am eager to upgrade after next week's announcement. My AT&T contract ends 9/22, and I’d like to try T-Mobile. I have grandfathered “unlimiited data” with AT&T, so I’d rather not cancel that account unless I’m sure I'm happy with T-Mobile's coverage.

I guess the best way is to buy a new unlocked phone with a T-Mobile SIM, while holding on to old phone with active AT&T account. Use T-Mobile's free 200 MB of monthly data to test new phone for a month in different locales (using my old phone for hardcore data tasks), then either choose T-Mobile, port over old number, cancel AT&T, sell old phone........or else choose AT&T, insert an AT&T SIM into new phone, cancel T-Mobile, and sell old phone.

Make sense? Am I forgetting anything?

2. NinjaStar macrumors newbie

Have you looked at the free Test Drive? I tried it and it convinced me to switch from AT&T. TMo works great for me where I'm at, but just like any other carrier, milage will vary.

3. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure they're still doing Test Drive. And it won't be the new model, of course. And I'm worried about depleted stock if I wait to upgrade (I have a customer for my 5C who probably won't wait more than a few weeks).

4. NinjaStar macrumors newbie

They're still doing it. I ordered on a Wednesday night and received it Friday. You have to return it to a real t-mobile store, but the nice thing was that they were completely no pressure.

5. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, it was a good idea, but they're currently reporting out of stock on test phones, with a 4-6 week wait.