Logitech Announces Folio Touch Keyboard With Trackpad For New iPad Air

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Apple's event that saw the introduction of a new iPad Air, Logitech today announced the launch of the Logitech Folio Touch that's designed for the device.

Like the Folio Touch for the iPad Pro, the iPad Air version includes a full-size keyboard with backlit keys and, most notably, a trackpad that works with the trackpad gestures included in iPadOS.

The Folio Touch, which is priced at $160, is available as an alternative to the Magic Keyboard, which Apple is also offering for the iPad Air. The Folio Touch is made from a soft gray fabric with a shell to fit the iPad into. It connects to the Smart Connector on the iPad Air so there's no need to charge it.

The Folio Touch for iPad Air appears to be identical to the Folio Touch for iPad Pro, with the exception of a smaller camera cutout, a power button cutout to allow for Touch ID, and being fitted to the iPad Air, which measures in at 10.9 inches. We reviewed the Folio Touch for iPad Pro earlier this year and found it to be a great alternative to the more expensive Magic Keyboard.

Logitech plans to begin selling the Folio Touch for iPad Air in October 2020. It will be available from the Logitech website and the Apple online store.

Article Link: Logitech Announces Folio Touch Keyboard With Trackpad For New iPad Air

Last edited:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I wish they would go back to detachable keyboards. I am disappointed that their version for the 2018+ iPad Pros force the keyboard to be connected at all times. I liked it just being a kickstand because it was the best one on the market IMO.
Agreed. I consider this a step back. I don't want a keyboard attached all the time. I like my current case on my iPad 7. I can just keep the keyboard on my desk at all times and dock my iPad to it when I want to use it without taking it out of it's current case.

Reactions: CPL593H

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Yeah if I wanted a Surface I would buy one. Don’t need my iPad to look or work like a Surface. These Logitech keyboards are a pass for me.

Edit: my comment is based on the poor design choice of Logitech. Not iPadOS or the Magic Keyboard.

Last edited:

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Will that fit with the 2018 iPad Pro? We will have that in the new Air in our house soon, so it would be nice to have one keyboard to rule them all

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
They made the best iPad case I have ever used and they stopped making it for newer models. Now you can only get something from them that's close, but it requires a keyboard with it. This is the case I am talking about:

erthquake

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Wonder if this would actually be a better fit for the 1st-gen iPad Pro 11?
I have it for my 2018 iPad Pro 11, and I love it. Yes, it’s heavy. But I prefer it to my 15” MBP on the couch and watching movies in bed. I use my iPad more now with the case on it.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
You are are probably reading the wrong web site.
Nah the Magic Keyboard has it right. The new Logitech ones are a miss. They would be better if the keyboard was detachable and the touchpad mouse was a better design. I’ve tried both and the only complaint I have about the Magic Keyboard is the material it is made from. The soft plastic material from the smart folio is trash and doesn’t last long at all. Thankfully it’s covered under the Apple care. I’ve replaced so many folios just do the the edges warping it’s not even funny.

icymountain

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2006
Not only it can only be used on a flat surface but also it needs to be attached at all times, and I see the way it attaches to the iPad is very much like the Logitech Keyboard I was using with an iPad Air many years ago. After a few months, the plastic attachment point would break (when closed, this point gets some pressure). I had 3 replacement keyboards before the warranty expires, and the fourth one broke past warranty. Terrible design!

ChromeAce

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I have the Apple version of this. While on an Airbus plane there was a shelf in the seatback to prop up my iPad Pro but since the keyboard/trackpad won’t work using Bluetooth while detached (it has no battery) I am forced to spend even more money and weight in my bag by carrying a separate Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad.

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
The Apple one is significantly better, right? It's just so damn expensive.
Yes, I have the Combo touch for iPad Pro 10.5 and the keyboard is mediocre, especially the sleep button next to backspace is very annoying. As a beginner touch typist hitting it by accindent and having the screen turn black is frustrating.
The touch pad while having the functions is nowhere near the same quality of the magic keyboard.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I wish they would go back to detachable keyboards. I am disappointed that their version for the 2018+ iPad Pros force the keyboard to be connected at all times. I liked it just being a kickstand because it was the best one on the market IMO.
Blame Apple for that. It doesn’t seem particularly possible with the current placement of the smart connector. I’m still bummed my Logitech Base won‘t work with anything but the base iPad moving forward.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The Apple one is significantly better, right? It's just so damn expensive.
I don't think the magic keyboard is better.

I bought the one for my iPad Pro on the first day they were available. Very bulky, heavy, does not fold back so you detach iPad to use your iPad as a tablet. I thought the Logitech would better, but it was also very heavy. Both weight more than the iPad Pro.

Currently using the iPad Pro Folio keyboard cover. I just wish it had backlight keys and it would be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.