Logitech AudioStation $49 after rebate

Discussion in 'iPod' started by madmaxmedia, Dec 7, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Hey all,

I just ordered the Logitech AudioStation from Tiger Direct for $49 after rebate. You also have to pay $19 for shipping, but there's also a $10 off $100 Google checkout discount (just need to pad your total by $1 to reach it.)

Anyone own this speaker? iLounge and other sites have given it very good reviews. There's a new version called the Pure-Fi Elite, but the sound is supposedly the same.

I was looking at stuff like the JBL On Stage, but don't need it to be really portable so this should be fine on my desk.

2. o2co2 macrumors newbie

Hi, how is your experience with the audiostation? Do you use it with ipods or iphone? I am interested in ordering one, too. :)

3. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Sure no prob. I am using it with my iPod Touch-

For the price, I'm positive you won't find a better all-in-one dock/speaker for the iPod. It works great with my Touch (charges and plays, the remote works too), and has a universal dock so you can use the adapter that comes with your iPod.

I think it sounds very good as well. I consider it better as a desk unit that sits more or less close to you while you play it, rather than something that replaces a home stereo. Even though it gets pretty loud with no distortion, these compact all-in-one units aren't going to have much stereo separation or present any kind of 'sound stage'. It sounds very nice with 'near field' listening, if the unit is a few feet away then as I mentioned the speakers distance from each other is a limitation. The bass is very good for a compact unit too, but is physically handicapped vs. a 2.1 type system. It has sealed ports so you don't have that boomy effect, the bass is nice and tight. There's some sort of 3-D matrix effect to increase the stereo separation, the effect is actually very moderate but thus doesn't color the sound too much, so I leave it on all the time. Finally, having an AM/FM radio is a nice extra (although I guess reception isn't that great.)

I am 100% satisfied with the unit for its intended purpose (desk unit at work.) I haven't found any all-in-one units within say $150-$200 that sound better than the Audiostation. One other very noteworthy unit is the Harman Kardon Go+Play which I think is phenomenal and also portable (can run on batteries), but it is over double the price of the AudioStation.

My other iPod speaker system is a Klipsch iFi, which I was fortunate to pick up for $150 at Costco last year. That unit is perhaps an even better bargain, as it is suitable to serve as a home stereo. But that unit requires a more tranditional stereo set up, and sounds best IMO when the speakers are separated and are also a few feet away from you. It also sounds best at louder volumes, so for all these reasons I prefer the Audiostation for work.

Hope that helps-

4. pcuser2 macrumors member

5. o2co2 macrumors newbie

Hi madmaxmedia,
    Thanks for your detailed review. I googled this system a little bit and found the users reviews vary a lot from one to another. All kinds of tech problems have been posted about this logitech product...
    kinda relieved after reading your post and I am going to give it a shot! I am gonna use it with my ipod touch. I am only interested in its relatively good sound quality. Radio and alarm function won't bother me too much.

6. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I had read about some technical problems with the unit too. But it seemed like Logitech fixed some of the earlier glitches, and we're getting units at the end of the production run. In any case, I have had absolutely no problems with mine so far- everything works perfectly.