Logitech C615/910 Webcam - Installed software?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by opinio, Jun 2, 2013.

1. opinio macrumors 65816

I have a Logitech C615 which works fine on my Mac minis and MacBook Airs.

I have not installed any Logitech webcam software/app though as it seems to work fine through UVC.

I was wondering if anyone has installed the Logitech app for the C615 (and C910) and if so is it any better? I remember from my Windows days that Logitech software always installed so much garbage that I did not want. I am wondering if the Mac app gives any quality enhancements?

Also the app appears to only be for 10.5 and 10.6 and I am running current 10.8.3. Apart from questions above, has anyone had any experience with the app in ML?

Also I pretty much use the webcam only for Skype.

These are the relevant links that I believe relate the the app I am referring to:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/hd-pro-webcam-c910?osid=9&section=downloads&bit=32

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com...ltZS8xMzcwMTYyODAxL3NpZC9GLW10N0pybA==#lws220

Any comments greatly appreciated.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I don't have a Logitech cam but as a general rule - if a piece of hardware will operate with software provided by Apple, that's my preference over installing additional software. In my experience any additional features are seldom worth the hassle.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

The add-on software from any mfgr tends to be not written well and is prone to crashing the system. If the Apple software works, stick to it.

4. opinio thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I agree with both of you. That is also my experience hence the reason why I never installed it.

I was just wondering if there were any outright enhancements given it is a HD webcam and is designed to work with specific apps such as Skype.

I had a feeling it would be the old 'if it ain't broke don't try and fix it' reply.