Logitech Control Center (LCC) SUCKS! Use SteerMouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravenvii, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Seriously.

I decided I wanted some more functionality out of my Logitech VX Revolution, and after reading about how someone uses the tilt wheel to switch spaces, I thought "wow, that's genius" and went and installed LCC to play with it.

My. God. I knew the LCC blew, but that was before they removed APE. But now, even without APE, it SUCKS. Buggy, affects other programs for unknown reasons, and is just an all-around pile of crap.

I, of course, uninstalled that piece of crap. I went on the 'net and checked out the alternatives; USB Overdrive and SteerMouse. I decided to download and install SteerMouse.

Wow, I'm impressed! It has the feeling of the default OS X driver, which I like, with the added benefit of being able to configure all of the buttons on my VX Revolution!

And it's not a crapfest like the LCC is.

I'm just sayin'. Gave the thread a nice and easy title for search engines, so people would search, and find this thread. And then promptly flush the Logitech Crap Center in the toilet where it belongs, and install SteerMouse!

2. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I have always been a fan of Logitech hardware and still am, it's the software they put out that blows.. Big time.

You are correct SteerMouse is the way to go.

I am using the wired aluminum apple keyboard and VX Revolution with the logitech Rx stick installed in one of the keyboard USB ports and could not be happier.

I had the apple bluetooth mouse and could not get use to the slow movement, SteerMouse fixed that problem also. I finally had to stop using the BT mouse, the way I hold it I was getting left clicks while trying to right click.

I wish the list of compatible mice for SteerMouse would expand.

Has anyone tried the Logitech MX 1100 mouse with SteerMouse?

3. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I have LCC installed for my MX Revolution mouse. No problems here. maybe I'm having problems that I don't know about?

4. msprouls macrumors member

msprouls

I was having intermittent lags and keyboard inputs were getting dropped. I played with placement of the RF receiver and things like that. It's when I opened the console and seen all the errors getting logged to the system from LCC that I decided to get rid of LCC and give SteerMouse a try.

I don't recall the exact error messages but I do remember the way LCC was starting at boot was causing a problem. It just smelled of bad programming on the part of Logitech.

It's a shame since Logitech owns/owned the Mouse market that they allow them selves to get distracted with all the other areas they are "Trying" to play in.

5. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I have the VX revolution and I skipped installing anything altogether. Everything works - the scroll/tilts, the speed is good (after I entered a simple terminal command bumping the speed setting up) - everything. What does paying another $20 for Steermouse get you? I must be missing something...

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Can't speak for the VX since I don't own one but for my MX Revolution Steermouse allows me to program every single button on the mouse and all functions of both wheels. For example thumb wheel up for Expose and thumb wheel down for Spaces. Thumb wheel button press for Dashboard. Every single button is programmed for use and used heavily. This, Steermouse does flawlessly, as smooth as an OS driver programmed by Apple themselves.

It was worth every cent of the $20 I paid and I highly recommend it.

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

A ton. The biggest got-to-have is the acceleration curve adjustments you can make, as well as the button control.

You missed a lot.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I uninstalled LCC a few months back. I was almost ready to trash my Logitech v470 mouse at the time, with the terrible lagging problems. Then I read about the real problem, and have been running it without any drivers. Works great, though the side-scrolling of course doesn't work.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had a problem with LCC. Works perfectly well with my VX Nano. I use the tilt-wheel to move between tabs in Safari. Works like a charm!

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Oh I just remembered one other thing about the Steermouse drivers for the MX Revolution. They also enable you to switch between the awesome free scrolling/normal scrolling modes with the center wheel button press.

I like to use MameOSX a lot and the mouse is not usable in games with the LCC drivers. It works perfectly with Steermouse though.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Right. I was using my v470 for a lot of gaming, and it was unbearable, even in turn-based strategy games. After I uninstalled LCC, it works as well as any wired USB mouse, in RTS games.

12. Horst Guest

Amen, LCC sucks alright, hate the acceleration, and of course the bugs.

LCC has always been bad , now at least there is multi-program support, but still Logitech just doesn't care about the Mac market, simple as that.

But what are you going to do ? Kensington and Apple have a limited and unattractive line of mice, Racer is even worse re. drivers, what else is there ?
    Well, Microsoft is getting it right, of all brands, but their offerings are few ...

Btw., many Logitech mice are still working fine with USB Overdrive, too, even though this app is sort of discontinued.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

... a feature I use all the time. The LCC does this fine with my VX Nano. I love the hyper-fast scrolling! It comes in very handy when scrolling through my iTunes library, long forum pages, etc.

14. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I use USB overdrive for my G5 mouse as the LCC does not work with this mouse.USB OVerdrive Works awesome. Though I do use LCC for my MX1000 on my desktop, and dont have any issues with it... But I guess thats because I just disable all the stuff and never touch it again ;)

15. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I just came over from windows and I'm having some issues. LCC appears to be working, but there seem to be limited options on what I can assign to buttons.

For example, I simply want to have the two arrow keys - above the tumb wheel - act as forward and backwards when I'm in web or file browsers. I think it's set up like this by default in windows. Am I missing something simple?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Forward and backward, as in tabs? or like backspacing through previous pages in the same tab? It makes a difference, and both are simple.

17. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Previous pages within a tab or window (e.g. iTunes-->iTunes Music-->Artist-->etc.).

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, first you mentioned Safari or Finder. Now you're talking about iTunes. Different apps have different controls, so you have to make up your mind which you want to control. Basically, if there's a keystroke or menu item that describes what you want to do, you can program your mouse button to do that, using the menu item name, or using "Keystroke" and entering the desired keystrokes. Your mouse button definition isn't going to change, based on what app you're viewing, so decide what's most important and use that.

19. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

:D well said.

I too have LCC running my MX and it works just fine. I also own SteerMouse, but I prefer LCC.

Rich :cool:

20. shanesoft macrumors newbie

What do you guys have set for your tracking speed and multiplier in LCC? I still can't seem to get it just right and curious what others have.

21. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I'm having an issue here if I gently bump the wheel the page will scroll up or down. It's as if wheel is extra sensative to any movement.

I also figured out my earlier question. Assigning "Command + [ and ]" worked for backwards and forwards within Finder.

22. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Thanks works great here too and I would add the LCC works fine for me.

23. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I'm having an odd issue and I'm not sure if it's LCC or OS X (10.5.8).

Despite customizing the scroll speed for an application (e.g. Firefox) the speed of the vertical scroll varies. Sometimes I need to scroll a mile to barely go down, and then other times it will leap down the page after on 'click'. Even after continuing to adjust the Speed slider back and forth I see no drastic change. Any thoughts?