Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
They really need to make the Ember mugs with larger capacity, especially the travel mug. 12oz is just ridiculous.

repmekker

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
I wanted to buy one of the Ember mugs for my wife. She thought it was ridiculous. I looked up a simple coffee heater on Amazon. It works just as well, and I can use it with any existing mug. It costs $10. Why in the WORLD would anyone pay $100 for this thing?
Because ember maintains your coffee temperature exactly at the dialed in (via app) setting down to a single degree. A warming plate continues to warm and gives you the burned coffee effect. Had one, no competition. Love my ember mug. You get what you pay for.

repmekker

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
You should never drink your coffee past 30 minutes as its chemical composition changes into a more acidic base which upsets most peoples' stomachs. :)
I guess everybody in my office has a very strong stomach ? But I agree, drink your coffee fresh.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
We got a couple ember mugs as a gift. We use them once, but they are really small and do not hold much. Pretty much relegated them to display items with the rest of the swag.

Reactions: dwsolberg

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I wonder if things can actually get too convenient, like the ancient curse, "May you get what you wish for."

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
I wanted to buy one of the Ember mugs for my wife. She thought it was ridiculous. I looked up a simple coffee heater on Amazon. It works just as well, and I can use it with any existing mug. It costs $10. Why in the WORLD would anyone pay $100 for this thing?

Its the definition of runaway consumerism: "When peoples' basic needs are so well taken care of by technology, they will buy damn near anything", or something like that. Paraphrasing Milo Bloom via Berke Breathed, creator of Bloom County.

Something else to consider: here is yet another device that you need to get a cloud app in order to "make full use" of it. Seriously, you have to download the app and create an "Ember Account" in order to pair the base and the mug with your phone.
If you want a Sleep Number bed, you have to have a cloud account to use it. Then there's the modems and routers that may sit right next to your computer but you need a cloud account to admin them, the streaming music devices and server software that might be playing stuff from your local hard drive but still want you to route everything through their remote cloud in order to listen/watch, and all the lightbulbs/refrigerators/toasters,garage door openers and doorbells that also want you to log in to your home via someone else's cloud.

Maybe one percent of the people I explain this to suddenly "get it". The remainder are split into thirds, fairly evenly, between "so?" and "I don't care, they can watch me if they want, I have nothing to hide, who cares what toilet paper I buy?" and "I know what it means but you're not getting 1/10 of the functionality of that device if you don't access that cloud account".

Society is full of a bunch of slowly boiling frogs.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
We got a couple ember mugs as a gift. We use them once, but they are really small and do not hold much. Pretty much relegated them to display items with the rest of the swag.

10 oz. Pretty standard size for a coffee mug. Unless you're going to drive somewhere and won't have access to the pot, Keurig, Nespresso, whatever, why do you need a mug bigger than that?
[automerge]1570649953[/automerge]
Its the definition of runaway consumerism: "When peoples' basic needs are so well taken care of by technology, they will buy damn near anything", or something like that. Paraphrasing Milo Bloom via Berke Breathed, creator of Bloom County.

Something else to consider: here is yet another device that you need to get a cloud app in order to "make full use" of it. Seriously, you have to download the app and create an "Ember Account" in order to pair the base and the mug with your phone.
If you want a Sleep Number bed, you have to have a cloud account to use it. Then there's the modems and routers that may sit right next to your computer but you need a cloud account to admin them, the streaming music devices and server software that might be playing stuff from your local hard drive but still want you to route everything through their remote cloud in order to listen/watch, and all the lightbulbs/refrigerators/toasters,garage door openers and doorbells that also want you to log in to your home via someone else's cloud.

Maybe one percent of the people I explain this to suddenly "get it". The remainder are split into thirds, fairly evenly, between "so?" and "I don't care, they can watch me if they want, I have nothing to hide, who cares what toilet paper I buy?" and "I know what it means but you're not getting 1/10 of the functionality of that device if you don't access that cloud account".

God forbid anyone buys something that's novel / convenient / fun and goes beyond their basic needs. And once you figure out your favorite temperature for coffee, you can set it in the app and delete the app if you're that scared of the big bad cloud.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Can you display other signals on the Lumos helmet? Like, say...the middle finger? If so...I want one. :cool:
[automerge]1570651157[/automerge]
You should never drink your coffee past 30 minutes as its chemical composition changes into a more acidic base which upsets most peoples' stomachs. :)
That mug is not for anyone who appreciates good coffee or tea.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
The ember mug intrigued me and I’ve been loving tea lately. I just ordered the 14oz black for Friday delivery. Too bad not today. It’s rainy and wet in NJ. Warm drink time!

votdfak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
What's wrong with cold coffee? If it's quality it doesn't matter whether it's hot or cold.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm sure the crayon functions just fine but I am scratching my head at the naming of the thing. Crayon makes it sound so much like a toy. Maybe it's just me?
[automerge]1570637639[/automerge]

My wife grabbed one as an employee concession (I think it's the original though as she's had it a while) and says it's amazing.
The Crayon was initially intended for the education market. But it serves as a less expensive, albeit less capable, writing/drawing tool than the Apple Pencil, and it works with all Pencil 1 and Pencil 2-compatible iPads.

Last edited:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm not the market for the Ember – I only raaaaarely have a hot chocolate – but it is clearly one of those products many just don't understand until they use it. Those who have them almost unanimously love them.

Please note the intentional use of language which allows for a small percentage of users to disagree. Don't @ me, bro. :)

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
10 oz. Pretty standard size for a coffee mug. Unless you're going to drive somewhere and won't have access to the pot, Keurig, Nespresso, whatever, why do you need a mug bigger than that?

How long do you need to drink mere 10 oz of something that you actually need to keep them warm for an extended period of time?

Reactions: Nugget

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
How long do you need to drink mere 10 oz of something that you actually need to keep them warm for an extended period of time?

Yep. 10 oz is one or two glups. Especially for me since I don't drink coffee, usually tea or just warm water. Both of which I can slam down when my day starts to crumb, again.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

So true. I miss the analog/mechanic days when products that did not have all this tech. They were simple lasted forever and were very easy to fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sill

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The Crayon was initially intended for the education market. But it serves as a less expense, albeit less capable, writing/drawing tool than the Apple Pencil, and it works with all Pencil 1 and Pencil 2-compatible iPads.
That makes a lot more sense. :)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The Crayon was initially intended for the education market. But it serves as a less expensive, albeit less capable, writing/drawing tool than the Apple Pencil, and it works with all Pencil 1 and Pencil 2-compatible iPads.

In one very crucial way it is more capable - it requires no pairing.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Yep. 10 oz is one or two glups. Especially for me since I don't drink coffee, usually tea or just warm water. Both of which I can slam down when my day starts to crumb, again.

Ah, well that explains our different feelings. I actually enjoy the taste of coffee and tend to sip and savor it, not gulp it.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
Speed of consumption doesn't correlate to enjoyment of the food or beverage. Otherwise, one would be led to believe I actually enjoy peas.

Didn’t say it did. I just said I enjoy it, and I tend to sip it. Two separate points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.