Logitech Desktop S530 and Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KurtangleTN, Dec 2, 2007.

1. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm kind of looking for a new mouse and keyboard set for my iMac, I really don't like the mighty mouse and would like a wireless keyboard too, although I quite like the wired Apple white keyboard.

I haven't read any problems but I just want to make sure before I buy the set, is it working great under Leopard?

2. showtime macrumors 6502

I have this keyboard and mouse running under leopard and it works the same as it did in 10.4. I can't comment on everything because I haven't installed the logitech drivers (logitech control center) so some of the special buttons aren't working for me.

I'm pretty sure though that everything would be fully function once you install logitech control center. The newest version is 2.4.0 and does support 10.5.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

I don't have the S530 but i Have the Logitech S510 which is the Windows version of the S530. I used it with my Macbook on Leopard and it had major problems. My Macbook would Kernel Panic everytime I plugged in the USB Dongle. I've sinced bought an Apple Aluminum Keyboard which works great!:)

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i have been using my S530 since day one of leopard and have not had any problems whatsoever-everything appears to be just as it was before

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I have had the S530 since about Aug 2006 on a mini and I'm extremely satisfied with it. After being bit (amd recovered) on the Leopard upgrade (Unsanity) I downloaded the latest drivers from Logitech and haven't had a bit of problem. Wake up is good, and battery usage is excellent. The battery usage is actually one of the best features IMO - I'm only on my third set in over a year now. I especially like the left side clicker to backup on a web page with the push of the thumb.

6. powz macrumors regular

I own this set and it works well under Leopard with the latest Logitech Control Center software for the S530 (downloaded from the Logitech website). My main complaint with this set is that it does not use the newer 2.4 ghz frequency and is therefore sometimes subject to interference. The mouse is also a bit too lagged for my taste. Overall, if you can get it on sale then it's an OK buy, but definitely not worth the full retail price as there are newer and better keyboard/mice for Macs now.

7. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

What keyboards for Mac would you recommend as better than the S530? I am interested in purchasing a wireless keyboard, but need a number pad on it.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

That's too bad, I was wondering if the S510 would work with the Mac S530 drivers. I like them in black, plus they're cheaper too. ;)

9. KurtangleTN thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same, and a mouse too.. as that's my biggest need. Hate the damn mighty mouse.

That reports a bit worrying on the laggy, Is it really noticeable for an average user? Also how often would you say do you have interference problems and the keyboard not registering keys?

10. slug420 macrumors regular

I am a new mac pro owner and interested in knowing my options for a wireless keyboard/mouse setup. Right now I am using a logitech set I had on my PC before I got my mac. I saw the s530 but am I going to have problems using this if I run bootcamp and spend time gaming in Windows as well? I noticed it only lists osx for compatability...

11. cuestakid macrumors 68000

with the exception of the special shortcut buttons(email, spotlight, itunes, ect) it works fine-I am not 100% sure about the volume control but I am fairly certain that they work as well.

12. powz macrumors regular

Most keyboards/mice will work with Macs (even those listed as Windows only) but you might not get the extras like multimedia buttons to work. This opens up more possibilities than only looking at ones specifically designed for Macs. I'm really not up to date on the latest keyboards/mice, so maybe someone else can recommend specific ones. I'd definitely go with 2.4 ghz frequency if you're buying IR wireless, though.

Someone else asked about the lag on the S530. I don't really notice it under normal circumstances unless I'm typing really fast or playing a first person shooter game. The only time it gets really laggy is if I move a metallic object between the USB receiver and the mouse/keyboard. For everyday usage it should be OK.