Logitech G5 laser mouse vs MX518 mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zen, Jun 22, 2007.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I'm buying a new mouse as my wife has stolen my Logitech MX518, which is THE best mouse I have ever used.

Would there be any advantage in taking the Logitech G5 laser mouse instead? I can get it for the same price as the MX518.

Advice appreciated!!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

A quick google revealed at least this review which claims that the G5 was to replace the MX518, but don't go clamoring after it just on that one review. (Yes there are other forms of feedback, such as the gamers who'll likely write up their thoughts on Newegg's product page here, and this review which seems to also mention the MX518 in comparison to the G5.)

It depends on your needs and wants.

It would appear that the G5 offers greater accuracy so if you need that precision than by all means go for it. On the other hand, that very first review I linked to mentions that it doesn't have a certain button that the MX518 has, so if that was a button you enjoyed or used before, you might prefer getting a new MX518.

Hope some of that can be of help. :eek:

:edit: As a non-gamer and someone who can be slow to adapt to change, I'd likely go with something that I already know I like, but that's just who I am. (That and I look over and smile at the MX518 plugged in to my iMac. ;))

3. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

Yeah that is useful - thanks! I also found another review which mentioned the difference in buttons between the G5 and the MX518. I'm very familiar with the 518 (as I said, the best mouse I have EVER used), so I've gone for that. Better to stick with what you know, if what you know is awesome ;)