Logitech G5 Mouse skips under heavy CPU load

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sammich, Oct 17, 2008.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My recently bought Logitech G5 'Gaming' mouse is no doubt a fantastic mouse. But everytime the CPU (Late 06 MBP) is doing something intensive, even if it's just one of the cores. When the mouse is moved, the pointer will skip to a random spot a few inches away on the screen. This happens over random intervals (from 2+ seconds).

Sure it's not so bad when I'm firing up VMWare and it skips around because response time isn't vital. But i'm playing games with it, and well, in WoW that means you run off cliffs and miss the potion, and becomes a major PITA.

I know the first version of the G5 (the rust coloured one) had similar problems. But apparently the new blue one (the one in question) is fine. The surface I'm using it on is a heavy sheet of cardboard (backside of a notebook).

Anyone else have this problem? And what does logitech do in these cases? I rang up tech support and got hung up on. Or do I need to go to the guy I bought it from?

EDIT: after running 'yes > /dev/null', it might not be totally CPU related, maybe the GPU has something to do with it. In any case, I'll be playing in another account to see if the problem arises there.

2. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Sorry, I don't have a solution - I'm just posting to say that I'm having the exact same problem with my MX Revolution and my MBP and it's incredibly frustrating. I notice it more when I'm on something like Unison. I've also noticed if I use the laptop trackpad instead of the mouse, it works fine, with no skipping whatsoever.

3. chriscamp macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my MX Revolution skipping and generally driving me nuts on my new MBP while time machine backups were running. At the same time the built in trackpad was working fine. I tried it with and without the logitech drivers installed and the results were the same.

I can't remember where I saw it now but someone on a forum suggested it had something to do with wireless networking interference. From their suggestions I changed my airport extreme setup to wireless-n ONLY from wireless-n b/g compatible and the problem disappeared completely. I didn't try it but I assume plugging in a network cable would also solve the issue.

Chris

4. FnuGk macrumors regular

i have the same problem with my mouse skips when playing a game (sc2) but only in the game. The trackpad still works with no problems at all.

This happens even when im playing with no internet connection at all though it could be my neighbors wireless that is the cause of the problem. ?