Logitech G7 or Logitech MX Revolution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joshie, Jan 15, 2009.

1. joshie macrumors newbie

joshie

So I'm in the market for a new mouse, but I'm not sure which to get. I used to be a gamer, mostly First person shooters, but not as much anymore, but I was going to play a little here and there. I've used an MX510 for years so I don't really see the need for the 2000dpi and what not of the G7. But i do like the shape of the G7 (since it is very similar to the MX510). I can get both of them for around $40-50, but can't really decide.

Please no, its personal preference responses haha I know that =D. The MX seems to be a big favorite on these forums, but I'm still not fully convinced. Other thing is the battery life. The swappable batteries on the G7 are nice but I hear they only last about 2 days each, while the MX i heard lasts about a week to 10 days. The only thing i dont liek is that you need to use an Outlet to plug in the charger for the MX not a USB port but thats not that big of a deal. And last thing, I've seen some posts on the MX about a "previous" version of it. Are there major differences between the previous and the present generations?

THANKS!!!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get the G7. The MX is great, but gamers should shy away from it. The MX is not for gaming, but multi tasking. Hence all the user programmable buttons. The G7 was designed for gaming, so it should suit you well.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The younger poster above me is right... The G7 is made for gaming the VX and MX Revolution are not, that's mainly why they seem to be the fan favorite on here. You can read my review for questions about the MX, the battery life is not really 10 days, it's more like a couple months. The G7 I can't speak of in terms of battery life, but you can definitely tell the difference between the two in terms of weight, precision and set up.

4. joshie thread starter macrumors newbie

joshie

hmm thanks. For the most part i don't game anymore. I used to be one of thoes hardcore CS players, but not anymore since college started. Its more of those i play when im absolutely bored. So for the most part i wont be looking at the mouse for gaming purposes i just want to know i can be able to use it for that now and then. But which of the two is better all around?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I have the MX518 (similar shape to G7) and MX Revolution, I'd say get the MX Revo since it has all those extra buttons you can map to anything. I map Expose, show Desktop, and spaces to 3 of the buttons, and still have a few buttons left over. Note that I use the "Steermouse" software ($20) that allows you to map the buttons for the majority of the mice out there. Not sure how customizable the Logitech software is. I heard its buggy so I opted not to install it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not buggy at all. Never had a problem.

8. joshie thread starter macrumors newbie

joshie

thanks for the responses. I actually went ahead and picked up a MX Revo from a local refurb shop. They dont usually do pick ups, but they made an Exception =D 45 Bucks. I remember trying it out at Best Buy and not liking the feel, but after just a few hours of using it i love it. Glides around a lot better and i love the wheel on the side. VERY HAPPY! =D