Logitech G930 Wireless Headset Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hey Apple!, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Hey Apple! macrumors member

I've been looking for a gaming grade wireless headset and the Logitech G930 seems to fit that description pretty well. While not specifically stated on the box that it works with mac osx, I've heard a few cases of it working with mac as well. You just aren't able to configure the customizable buttons. I was wondering if anyone else has used this new headset that logitech just released with mac and had it work. Confirmation is always nice before purchasing something.

Thanks.

2. okboy macrumors regular

Yeah, I have it and it works right out the box on my new 27" iMac. The SOund settings recognize it as a Logitech G930 too.

Here's what you should know:

Cons:
    1. It doesn't shut off automatically if it's idle like it does in Windows.
    2. There's no virtual 7.1. Still sounds great. Maybe there is a piece of software for Mac that creates a virtual 7.1 effect, but I wasn't able to easily find one via Google.
    3. No sidetone! In other words, you can't hear yourself when you talk. Since these pretty well block outside noise, you'll feel awkward talking with it on. I looked for software that would do this too, but only found ways of turning it on in Audacity, not system-wide.
    4. No voice-morph or programmable buttons.

Pros:
    1. No setup required.
    2. Buttons can pause, skip and skip back in iTunes, as well as mute the mic.
    3. Volume dial adjusts system volume, just like the keyboard keys do. Very responsive and comfortable.
    4. Microphone works and so does the tilt up to mute function.

3. frankenstone macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks Okboy for clearing that up for us.

I read a loong review but they didn't say anything about how it works on MAC. I wanted to buy it but even on the official logitech website it doesn't say anything (or I couldn't find that part).

4. Brockjava macrumors newbie

I confirm what okboy has stated. The other one con I would have is:

1) After an hour of play the headset hurts my ears. The way that they are shaped my ear is slightly bent inside the ear cup.

On the pro side:

1) I use it both with my Mac and PC and the 7.1 surround on the PC is incredible. It also sounds good on the Mac in stereo as well. Very clear with a nice broad range of sound. Sound perfect using VENTRILO as well.

5. saschke macrumors 6502

Have you guys made any progress with this? I've recently bought the headset for my Mac/PC hybrid and I am very happy with it, except for the mediocre support under OS X. The buttons for iTunes and Volume worked great OOB but stopped working after installing the newest Logitech driver in Windows. Any ideas on how to rebuild that button functionality for OS X? Some people wrote that adding an iTunes profile in Windows somehow magically brings functionality back in OS X but this hasn't been working out for me…

6. bigboss10 macrumors newbie

and movement...on this headset. I want to be able to get all the features most importantly the 7.1 Surround Sound....please anybody with this headset?

Thanks,

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

you've already been told about this in your other thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1591127

there's no native osx software for the surround sound. you need to install windows to get that to work.