Logitech Harmony Remotes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisN, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi, well I want to get my family a Harmony remote but I don't know which one to get or if it is even worth it. We have an Xbox 360 and a SD Sony Tv with Verizon Fios. Would a harmony remote be a big upgrade or should I not even bother?

ChrisN

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

If you're serious about entertainment, Harmony remotes are for you.

I got this one for an extra $20 when I bought my TV http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/376&cl=us,en Amazon has them for under $60 but I wouldn't pay more than that for this particular model.

It works with my Xbox 360 too. This is the first universal remote that I ever had that is really UNIVERSAL

I have my TV, surround sound, apple TV, cable, VCR, DVD, and Xbox 360 all connected. It even controls my air conditioner! Slowly phasing out VCR and DVD since I've gotten Apple TV.

3. rael00 macrumors newbie

Take it from somebody that have almost the same setting. It's worth it, mostly because of the activities features, you press one button and every device related to that activity turn on and change it setting to that activity, it's preatty sweet. If you can go with the 880, i have the 550 and is worth the upgrade. Also check with amazon, sometimes they have the 880 at the 550 price.

4. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Thanks for the responses, I think I will get the 880 on Amazon.

Thanks,
    ChrisN

5. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I've had my Harmony for almost 2 years now and it's fantastic. Very user friendly. If the device you're controlling isn't in their vast database, you can make the remote learn the I.R. commands. I'm even controlling the lighting in my media room.

6. Roadking macrumors 6502

I have one also. I really like it although lately its been acting up and seeming to freeze every once in awhile.

I still recommend one.

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Have had one for nearly two years. Works great. Software/web setup is trouble-free. It's great.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Does anyone have the 1,000? I WANT it but can't justify spending that much $ on a remote control.

9. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

The only thing I'm concerned with is that I don't have enough gadgets to use it with. I only have a Set top box and 360.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I have a Harmony One and it's pretty good. Takes time to tweak though....I also find it's a little top heavy.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Like queshy above I have a Harmony One which replaced an 880 (that is now in my closet) and I love it! The touch screen functionality and the ability to assign like 36 favorite channels as "pads" on the touch screen (along with the channel logos) is top notch and I have yet to have a problem with it. I didn't find it needed tweaking, but perhaps that is because all my components were easily found in the Harmony database.

BTW- Anyone with a Harmony One or Harmony 1000 can download thousands of presized channel buttons with logos free at iconharmony.com.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for the link! Actually all my components are new and were found easily except I only spent a few minutes setting it up but I find that it doesn't always work the way you expect it and so it does need tweaking. I'm just being lazy!