Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 has no audio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swdesign, Jan 24, 2011.

1. swdesign, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

swdesign macrumors newbie

swdesign

Online reviews say the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 works great on a Mac. I bought my C910 from Amazon which sells it as a Mac-compatible webcam. But the documentation that came with my unit says it designed for Windows only (no mention of Mac OS support). In fact, the C910 video functions well with Skype, but there is NO AUDIO in or out. My system is a Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core running OS 10.5.8. I have tried using USB ports on my 23" Cinema Display and on the tower itself. Fiddling with system prefs for audio I/O make no difference. I would love to know how to get this thing to work.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I have the same camera and I am using it without issue on my 13" MBP running SL 10.6.6. Have downloaded the software from Logitech and installed it?

Can I also ask why you are still using Leopard and not SL?

AM

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

When you actually change the audio I/O to your C910, does it test correctly under system preferences and then not work in Skype?

4. swdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

swdesign

5. swdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

swdesign

When you actually change the audio I/O to your C910, does it test correctly under system preferences and then not work in Skype?

In SystemPrefs>Input the webcam apparently shows up as "Unknown USB Audio Device" and there are no input controls available. It does not show up at all under Output. I listen to system audio output through an external stereo system. I would like to be able to Skype with the same setup.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have the same camera, and while I don't use Skype, I don't have any issues with it working on the Mac for iChat, Photo Booth, etc.

For input select that Unknown USB and tap your finger gently on the webcam mic. Do you see the on-screen volume indicators moving, if so, the mic function is working physically. I'm assuming we don't need to test output, since you've already got it working out through your stereo.

If it physically works, there's a glitch somewhere in getting Skype to recognize the mic. Maybe in Skype's settings?

7. swdesign, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

swdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

swdesign

In system prefs>sound>input I can see that the mic is picking up sound.

I have set Skype preferences for audio input to "unknown USB audio device" which is how Skype apparently recognizes the Logitech C910. I have set audio output to "built-in line output line out". But there is no video or audio in Skype.

Again, the documentation that came with this webcam makes NO REFERENCE to mac OS, so I am coming to the conclusion that this is just not designed for mac. I downloaded the Logitech software for this unit from their site — purportedly software for mac OS. But this software is proprietary, and I want to use this webcam with Skype. Logitech instructions for enabling Skype video are clearly Windows screenshots. I see no Skype functionality on my mac. I am stumped.

8. swdesign, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

swdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

swdesign

Finally found the page on Logitech's site the explains how to get the C910 webcam to work on a Mac. Logitech assumes that I am using Skype 5.0! which is a beta version, and group chat will work only if everyone on the call is using 5.0. The current version of Skype for Mac is 2.8. I tested this with two other Mac users who are using Skype 2.8. With one contact audio works both ways, and I can send video but not receive video. With the other contact I can receive video but not send video, and there is no audio in either direction. When I run Skype 2.8, the C910 performance is even sketchier. What in the world is going on? Everybody else plugs this thing into their mac and bingo. With me, it's a mess.

As to why I am still using Leopard and not SL: I guess I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade since 10.5.8 is working fine. (I like things that work and I'm loath to fix things that ain't broke.)