Logitech Headphones...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davidg4781, Jul 2, 2008.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I had a set of Logitech headphones/mic that connected via analog plugs. I bought them a long time ago, and decided to finally use them with a Learn to Speak Spanish program I have for Windows. When I connected them, the mic never really worked as it should.

Looking up the model online, it says they're only for Windows, not Mac compatible. When I finally found some Mac headsets, they have USB plugs.

Is there something with Macs that require them to use USB headphones/mics? Does this still affect them under Windows (Bootcamp)? Or were these just old and needed to be tossed years ago?

2. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

The Mac line-ins need a powered (amplified?) Mic signal. I guess on normal Windows machines the sound card provides the power, whereas on Macs they do not. I'm not sure why this is exactly, something to do with audio recording? Having a USB Mic gives it power that way, and just avoids the built-in sound card altogether.

I believe Griffin makes an "iMic" adapter that will turn your current microphone into something usable, from a discussion I read on another thread.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Correct. It's not that the headphones aren't compatible with Mac OS, it's just the hardware. So ones that use regular analogue connections won't work in Windows, either, on the same hardware. You'll need to use USB.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

5. Thunderbird8 macrumors regular

Thunderbird8