Logitech Mice & Scrolling in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KelchM, Jul 11, 2008.

1. KelchM macrumors regular

I'm a long time windows user and a long time fan of Logitech mice. I've just recently switched to using my MacBook as my main system and can't help but notice that scrolling with my VX Nano in OS X, quite frankly sucks. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not using the logitech control center software, but from what I have heard that program causes more problems than it solves.

Anyway, do any of you other logitech users know of a way to improve the response of the scroll wheel and make it feel more controlled at high speeds?

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I too would avoid Logitech's drivers until we hear they're no longer using APE.

You've probably already adjusted the scrolling speed in System Preferences, but if not, start there.

Various 3rd-party USB drivers may help too. I LOVE ControllerMate, and I imagine you could program all kinds of custom wheel responses and accelerations--but its sheer power may be daunting if you're afraid to get into the "programming." It's all VISUAL programming--drag and drop flowcharts, which I find actually fun. But it has a learning curve. If you're a controller-customization madman like me, consider it :)

Others I've heard of: Steermouse and USB Overdrive. Not sure what they can or can't do.

3. KelchM thread starter macrumors regular

I took a chance and installed the logitech drivers. They seem okay so far and the scrolling is much improved... I can easily scroll per-pixel now or fly through a page instantly.

I played around with contollermate pretty extensively but I never really was able to replicate what I wanted. Maybe I will have another go with it. About my only complaint with the logitech software so far is that free wheel scrolling seems to use a ton of cpu cycles...

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's been long known that they stopped using APE when their Leopard-compatible drivers came out. :)

With the LCC, scrolling is good (I dunno about the VX but on the MX), it offers accelerated scrolling for both vertical and horizontal. Steermouse and USB Overdrive are also good in this regard, so any of those solutions would work.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have the VX Nano with the Logitech drivers and it works perfectly! I've never had a problem of any kind. It doesn't hurt anything to try Logitech drivers for yourself, rather than take the word of a few others.