Logitech Mice: THE FACE OFF

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Doju, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Well, choosing between the Logitech mice (wow, what a brilliant company) has made me confused as to which models to buy.

I'm looking for one for my Alu MacBook - leaning towards the Logitech VX Nano

Also looking for one for a desktop - leaning towards MX Revolution, but I too wish it was in Bluetooth. But, you can get a Bluetooth one in a box deal, right? Is there any way to get it without the keyboard pricing?

Is there any downside to Bluetooth? And would anyone recommend the VX Revolution over MX?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I like the Nano, but it sits slightly too small in my hands. The regular VX is perfect for me. If you're not prepared to buy all that you're interested in, I'd get to a local shop where you can mouse around with them.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been extremely satisfied with the VX Nano. I'd use it for notebooks or desktops. Best mouse I've ever used!

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

I think it's a bit too small for a desktop, but I'm definitely thinking of it for a MacBook.

But can anyone offer input on the Bluetooth MX? Looking at a review, it said you plug the Bluetooth receiver into your computer. WHAT?! Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Bluetooth, why not just go with the normal USB dongle with the non-BT version?

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The review was using a PC without USB, not every PC has USB, which is why there are so few mice that are bluetooth.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't you mean it was a PC without Bluetooth? Not every PC has Bluetooth, but I think it would be rare to find one without USB.

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

MX Revolution is THE ****. Absolutely love that mouse. Highly recommend it (only buy on Amazon or something. In store prices are crazy)

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

It's not hard to find A COMPUTER without USB, just trying to find one made in the last decade or two :D Believe me, they exist!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We aren't talking about museum relics, and neither was the review article.

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I would recommend the VX Rev over the VX Nano. Main gripe of the Nano is that the 3rd mouse button (the scroll wheel button) switches the wheel between normal scrolling and hyper scrolling which was a huge annoyance. You'll find that mentioned in several reviews like this one. You may not use your third button much but those those who do, they will find it very annoying.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is one of the features I like the most. I use hyper-scrolling constantly. You can click to turn it on and off.

12. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yes I meant Bluetooth

And I'll be getting the MX Rev as soon as I save up £55, unless I decide to get a graphics tablet first...

13. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I use hyper scrolling all time too on my VX Revolution. Its just that I use the third button frequently and everytime I press that button, it changes the scrolling on the VX Nano. That issue led me to give mine away to my sister and stick with the VX Revolution. Plus, the VX was too small for my hands anyway and the VX Revolution is more comfortable simply because it is made for right handed use.

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

MX Revolution = Best mouse ever

Just get it. With bluetooth you would need to pair and annoyingly lose connection half the time, with the receiver, you don't need to do anything.

15. GregE macrumors 6502

We have a VX Nano for our MacBook Pro and really like it. I had originally wanted to do bluetooth but after some reading, I was concerned with connection problems. I decided to go with the nano receiver.

For our iMac, we are using the Logitech cordless desktop S530 and like it too.

16. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think Bluetooth is a bit more power hungry too so don't bother actively looking for one, especially seeing as USB receivers are absolutely miniscule (VX Nano's one is ridiculous).

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Does anyone have a MX Revolution, and the Wired Apple Thinboard? Im hoping the USB Receiver will fit in the USB Slot, and not stick out.

18. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I do, it sticks out by around 1.5cm. Not a lot, and it's nice and secure.

I have the MX rev and the VX nano. They are superb mice, I've tried lots over the years and these are the best out there imho. I have the nano for travelling and rev for at the desk.

I looked at the VX rev, but switching manual on the base of the mouse for free spin was a big turn off.

19. 617arg macrumors 6502

I have an MX Revolution that I would love to use with my Mac, but I can't figure out how to get the middle button to stop activating and deactivating the scroll options whenever I clicked it (I need to use it for some programs). This was very easy on my PC. I also could not figure out how to activate Expose, which is easily done using the side buttons on the Mighty Mouse.
    Has anyone solved these issues?

20. 617arg macrumors 6502

Ok.....this thread got me to try it out again. I got Expose working by activating the thumb scroll wheel. If I could just get that middle scroll wheel to stop acting up I might be able to go back to using it.............

21. 617arg macrumors 6502

Amazing!! hahaha........ I am having a conversation with myself here, but hopefully it will help others. I thought I tried everything when I first tried configuring the mouse, but I guess not.

I configured "SmartShift" to "Start in Free Spin mode". That enabled me to configure the scroll wheel button to "Click". I set that up as "Middle Click", and I can finally start using the Revolution again!

I guess the it's Mighty Mouse that will collect dust now! :D

22. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I've had a bunch of different bluetooth mice for my blackbook. The V470, V270, Razer Pro|Click, etc. I'm not really that thrilled with any of them. They all "sleep" at some point, as though they go into in a power saving mode. You get good at bumping the mouse the second before you need it to respond so it can re-establish the connection before you click, that shouldn't be necessary but it is.

23. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

i'm using a Logitech G5 (gaming mouse) right now and the laser is very smooth. it also has custom weights to make the mouse heavier or lighter. the only reason i didn't get the mx or vx is that they're wireless. (i prefer wired mouse :))

24. Slevin macrumors regular

Just bought a 24" Apple LCD and wanted to tuck away the macbook so I had to get a keyboard and mouse to go with it. I had a BT mighty mouse but that just kinda sucks, never really liked it. Originally got it because it was an apple product but it is now collecting dust. Decided to pick up the vx nano and I couldn't be happier. The dongle is inserted into the back of my display and it works great not a problem I like this desk without wires.

I would have gotten the VX Rev but I wanted something smaller and portable if I needed to take it with me somewhere