Logitech Mouse + KB, eventually MBP keyboard and mouse stop working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Clete2, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Ok, strange problem.

I have the following:
    MacBook Pro April 2010 model.
    Logitech MX3200 keyboard (comes with mouse, but I don't use it). Old RF receiver.
    Logitech Performance MX Mouse (unifying receiver).

I only recently received the Performance MX.

Since then, I have had some sort of issue that is very odd. After an hour or two of gaming or browsing the web, the keyboard stops working. Sometimes, unplugging and replugging it in will work, but other times, something very strange happens. Both the mouse and keyboard will freeze up as will the internal keyboard and trackpad, forcing me to do a hard shutdown. There is no way to unfreeze them except rebooting.

If it matters, I am usually playing World of Warcraft when it happens.

Any help? I have the latest unifying receiver drivers and everything.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I would recommend installing iStatPro or something else with temperature monitors and confirm that the computer isn't overheating, causing the lockups. 178 F is not unusual for a heavy workload on my MBP (when processing photos in Aperture) but I try to make sure the underside of the case has airspace and have considered getting one of the laptop cooling mats with the built-in fans.

3. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Aye, I have iStat Pro installed. I monitored it (as I thought the same), but I can tell you it is not from overheating. The temperature stays relatively low and the fans only get to about 4000RPM. Additionally, the GPU does not lock up as the game is still being rendered. I am pretty sure this problem pertains to the KB/Mouse alone. I do not understand why a wireless disconnect/bug would affect the internal ones as well, so maybe it is a Logitech driver issue?

Edit: Additionally, I have a very good laptop cooler (it was $75, is metal, has more than one fan, etc.) that works well that I have on all the time when I am gaming.

Recently all I have done is game so I cannot tell you if it happens outside of gaming.

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Try uninstalling the driver? I don't know how much this will affect your ability to game (mouse button programming, etc) but most standard input devices Just Work(TM).

5. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Unfortunately this is not very feasible for me, as I use the Logitech control center to set custom buttons, like exposé and DPI settings.

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't consider it as a long-term solution, just as a test to see if:

A) The currently installed driver is the problem.
    B) The driver software is buggy and Logitech needs to solve that.
    C) There is an OS or hardware issue with your computer.

7. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I'll test your theory if it happens again. It turns out I had both receivers share a hub. I put the unifying receiver on a different hub. So far, no problems. I will keep testing.