Logitech mouse owners assemble!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gorby, Aug 20, 2010.

1. gorby macrumors 6502

So despite finally buying a Magic Mouse which was only possible after I finally upgraded from Tiger to SL--- I just can't come to terms with it.

Using 'Bettertouchtool' didn't help, the stock gestures are just glitchy in my experience (it'll scroll when you don't mean for it to scroll) and adding more gestures to it only made it worse. But I digress.

Ultimately it's just not a comfortable mouse, I feel like I have to cradle and support it, when what I want is the opposite (rest the hand)

So I have a Logitech Performance MX on the way, what I'm hoping for is some feedback from all you Logitech owners out there, specifically regarding the Logitech Control Center software. I have read so much bad stuff (causing kernel panics for example) about that I'm hesitant to even install it.

But maybe that was just the earlier versions, do you guys have any feedback on the latest version (I believe it's 3.3), or just in general?

2. Gman257 macrumors newbie

I am running LCC with no problems whatsoever! The latest version runs just fine with my MX revolution.

3. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been reading a lot about LCC the past several days and boy it's a doozy. There was a time where it installed APE and caused all sorts of havoc. Even up to 3.1 people reported all sorts of issues.

There hasn't been much said about 3.3 though, which is why I started this thread. (and it doesn't look like much will be said about here from the looks of things :D)

You would think Logitech would just license, buy out, hire, whatever, the people who developed Steermouse-- which I have read essentially nothing but effusive praise about. (with Logitech mice, and others, including Apple's)

Who would've thought getting a decent mouse in this day and age would involve so much drama? I mean seriously.

I might well have stuck with the Mighty Mouse, which came with my iMac if it wasn't a totally broken concept due to the scrollball (failed on my original and the replacement I got). It was never very comfortable, but if the scrollball actually worked, I think I would have been satisfied.

I thought I would really like the Magic Mouse too but I was wrong. Again, what I would consider ... 'not great' ergonomics at play. And along with the glitchy feel of the touch surface (in my experience) I'm inclined to label it nearly 'broken' as well. As much I would prefer to use all Apple hardware, I decided I had to make the break here. I'm pretty much an Apple fanboy (not fanatical, but a very big fan-- I LOVE my mac), but I even have to just scratch my head here after the Mighty and the Magic.

And now to find Logitech with their utter incompetence in making a decent driver (I mean, honestly. It's 2010 right?) means that I've all but resigned to forking another $20 for software (Steermouse) to use this expensive mouse (Performance MX) to its full potential.

Mouse gets here monday, so hopefully there will be a satisfying conclusion to this much-longer-than-it-should-be saga :)

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Have you tried the Logitech forums (mouse on mac)? I've been using LCC with my Laser MX for years with no problems

5. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I ditched my Magic Mouse for a Logitech Anywhere Mouse and never had any problems. Much longer battery life, great precision on any surface and lots of buttons to program.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

I've never bothered with LCC. I just use SteerMouse or USB Overdrive to fix the mouse acceleration and configure the buttons.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've been using Logitech LX7's on my macs for a few years now. Never had any problems with LCC software.

8. kgapp macrumors member

Personally I have had nothing but problems with LCC in the past. On two different systems (2006 Mac Pro and 2009 Mac Pro) I believe it to be the cause of many random os freezes that require a forced reboot.

Most recently I have tried lcc 3.3 on my normally rock solid stable 06 Mac Pro with 10.6.4 and 30 seconds after rebooting I experienced a complete system freeze (except for the mouse pointer which still moved). I immediately removed lcc and have not had a single issue since.

Keep in mind that the logitech mouse is still a great mouse even without the unreliable lcc drivers. Just makes it a bit harder to take advantage of the extra buttons.

Have you tried the magic trackpad yet? I was skeptical of it's real world practicality at first but now i am completely sold and it's what I use 90% of the time. The only time I use my MX revolution is when I want to play games.

9. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

I sure did. Peruse the Logitech forums that is. There are a ton of bug reports there on LCC (as you would expect on a support forum, granted) but the LCC 3.3 thread has only a whopping 2 replies: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-...lable-for-download-06-18-2010-Mice/m-p/454455

10. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks kgapp, I think your experience affirms that I won't even touch LCC and go straight with Steermouse.

I haven't really considered the trackpad mostly because I'm not accustomed to them (not a notebook user at all). I feel I would need the 'precision' of a mouse at any rate. For photoshop and what not. I probably might even like it, who knows, but I'm not taking a chance after being burned by two Apple input devices :D

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I've used LCC with my M500 since december 2009 and I have had no problems at all. :cool:

12. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

I am using LCC 3.3 and had no issues, I will look up this Steermouse though as LCC is lacking in some features.

13. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I am using "SteerMouse" with VX and MX Logitech mice with great results. I don't use LCC at all. I like being able to totally program all the buttons to my liking.

-howard

14. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Have been using LCC on my Macbook Pro, iMac and now on my Mac Pro, with no issues whatsoever, since version 3.1 on Snow Leopard.

15. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

Just want to update that I got the mouse today and am extremely happy so far. Didn't even put the Logitech disc in.

Logitech Performance MX + Steermouse = excellent.

Love being able to call up Expose and 'show desktop' and have custom functions appropriate to each app on the mouse.

Time to put in that RMA for the magic mouse :D

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Been using LCC on iMac G5 for 6 years and on my MacBook for 2. Only issue I recall is having to kill the process once.