Logitech MX Performance Mouse on Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipodmac, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ipodmac macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a Logitech MX performace Mouse.
    Has anyone got this mouse? The most important feature to me is the smooth scrolling and back and forward buttons on safari and other apps. Does this work on the logitech mouse?

Thanks guys.

2. Jurisprudence macrumors member

I'm using the MX Performance with ML at the moment. Previously had it running using Sharemouse over an 2x MBP's with ML and a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard. Wouldn't use anything else but this mouse if I had the money to replace all my Magic Mice with them.

Logitech's software is very good (has improved immensely from previous version which were appalling) but you can also use Bettertouchtool instead. I have mine with

left/right buttons =set to the usual L/R
    Scroll wheel button = mute
    Scroll wheel left = volume down
    Scroll wheel right = volume up
    Zoom = Total Spaces grid (like SL spaces, google it)
    Back/Forward buttons= switch previous/next space
    Lower thumb = Quit active program

I use Opera not safari so no idea about setting back buttons on safari as on Opera you just hold the right button and tap the left to go back and vice versa.

You can set any button combo you want in logitechs software so you should be fine & you won't end up an RSI cripple thanks to Apples Tragic Mouse.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Best mouse out there (IMO)....everything works fine on my Mac using the Logitech software.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use a Logitech M510 on all my Macs ( 2 with Mountain Lion, and 1 with Snow Leopard) using the Logitech Setpoint software. I haven't had any issues.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'd like to add that you can use either "USB Overdrive" or "Steermouse" to control a Logitech mouse (without using the "Logitech Control Center" software).

USB Overdrive "weighs in" at around 1.5mb, whereas LCC is around 26mb -- just to control the mouse!

6. ipodmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone for your responses. You've just persuaded me to get the mouse!

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not that you needed any more convincing, but I've been very happy with my Logitech MX Performance Mouse on my MBP running ML.

8. Haiku214 macrumors member

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's a great mouse. I have two of them, one for each of my iMacs. One Mac has Lion and the other Mountain Lion and the mouse works perfectly. I highly recommend it.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

What about this mouse ?

Check this out on AMZN: Logitech Optical Gaming Mouse G400 with High-Precision 3600 DPI Optical Engine (910-0022... http://amzn.com/B0055QZ216

11. 22mac macrumors member

How is the smooth scrolling? I have only ever used the magic mouse on mac and love the smooth scrolling.

How does the logitech smooth scrolling compare?

12. scott.n macrumors 6502

I tried both the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Anywhere Mouse MX and had very poor experience with their ratcheting scroll wheels. Very jittery and far too sensitive. (Just moving the mouse - never touching the wheel - was sometime enough to cause scroll movement.)

I find the more traditional scroll wheels in the Logitech M510 mouse and V470 mouse (what I use with my desktop and laptop respectively) work much better.

13. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You've must have extremely shaky hands or something. I have had a Performance MX at home and at work for a couple years now (since they came out) and have never seen this issue.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wouldn't call it an issue per se, as I've seen mine do that. If the wheel is set for free spinning, and the mouse is bumped just right, the wheel will move a little and your window (if scrollable) will move. Plus you have to consider how you have the sensitivity settings arranged and how many lines to scroll when using the wheel.

It's a very fine mouse and I just love mine.

15. scott.n macrumors 6502

My hands are perfectly steady. It's a common problem, introduced by Logitech's crappy (Mountain) Lion drivers. Search their support forums.

16. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I was using a logitech anywhere mouse and have had nothing but problems with mine. it skips and jumps around the screen and it randomly gets "stuck" while moving the cursor. I tried the control center as well as steer mouse to try and fix it but in the end i ended up switching to a cheap logictech m305 mouse which works flawlessly. Not really sure why everyone elses anywhere mouse works fine for them and mine doesnt. oh well.

17. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

How far apart is your mouse and the unifying receiver? I've seen issues like that if they are too far apart or the mouse battery is getting weak.

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

about 24 inches from the receiver. that should be fine. Ive blown into the bottom and wiped my mouse mat in case of hair or what not as well. still works like crap. Id return it if i wasnt past my return period.

19. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

As a test I'd say move it closer - within a foot - and see if it improves....if it doesn't I'd say you have a bum mouse.

20. Che Castro macrumors 603

21. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I get about 40 hours per battery.

22. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I was interested in what you said, and looked into the M510. I was set on picking it up until I read that it does not function well on light colored surfaces. Unfortunately, my desk is white, so I see that as being a problem. Are there any other mice you would recommend that's similar to the M510, functions well on light colored surfaces, and has solid battery life?

The MX sounds like a great mouse and all, but I'm not sure how comfortable I would be spending ~$75 for a mouse (current amazon price).

My portable MS mouse now functions fine on my desk, but it's a little too small for my hand for extended use and the battery life could be better I suppose.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

RSI and distance from computer for keyboard and mouse

I'm looking to use a large LCD TV about 10 feet away to reduce eyestrain in my home office. I have a problem with RSI already. I'm wondering what the keyboard/mouse options are for 10-12' (3-4m) distances are. Anybody try this?

24. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Anyone prefer the smaller Logitech Wireless Anywhere Mouse MX over the Logitech MX Performance?

25. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

the only thing that has kept me from purchasing a mouse is that most are not bluetooth. I would like an alternative bluetooth mouse so i don't have to use another usb port.

Also, I like the magic mouse finger gestures... something no other mouse is going to have.