Logitech - MX Revolution $39.99 at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Joemero, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

My local Best Buy has the Logitech - MX Revolution Wireless Laser Mouse on sale for $39.99 instead of $99.99, but I'm hesitant to buy it because it's USB instead of Bluetooth. How well does this work with a late 2008 aluminum 15" MBP? Does the USB connector take up a lot of space as to not allow another device to be plugged in to the USB port next to it? Will it work if connected to the USB port of an Apple external keyboard?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Yes works awesome & works in keyboard

Picked up a refurb MX Revolution on Amazon for $30 a year ago and it's been fantastic.

Great mouse

3. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder if it will work well with Snow Leopard?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I wonder if it will work well with Snow Leopard?"

Yes, it does.

On my own iMac (with SL), I use it with USB Overdrive. USB-O has yet to be updated to 64-bit compatibility, but it still works. The downside is that when you try to open the USB Overdrive preference pane in System Preferences, you receive an alert that System Preferences must restart. I believe this is because the SP app first opens in 64-bit mode, and must restart into 32-bit mode to handle USB-O.

Once you restart it, USB-O works as it did before.

A friend also has the MX Revolution running on his iMac (again, using SL which I installed the other day), and he is using the Logitech mouse control software instead of USB Overdrive. Same problem with System Preferences - it must be restarted, but once done, things work ok.

I thought that Logitech's control software was bloated and difficult to understand, so I'll stick with USB-O.

- John

5. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Not true. The trick is to download the 3.0 update manually, then right-click and show package contents. Navigate to Resources. Find the mpkg, and double-click it. Run the installer. Enjoy LCC on SL.

And, to answer the original question, I have not an MX Rev but the VX Nano notebook mouse based on it. It does take up one of my precious USB ports, but it's much more reliable than my bluetooth mighty mouse -- I was having a ton of connection and battery issues. I don't use bluetooth anymore, just RF.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I bought my MX Revolution from Dell a year ago on a special offer, got it for £22, pretty damn sweet.

I love the mouse, but the wheel is far too sensitive at times, and have found if you move the mouse forward quickly, it sometimes spins the wheel, bit of a pain.

8. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

After upgrading to SL I lost a couple functions on my MX Revolution. I had the thumb wheel set for spaces, dashboard, and all windows. Dashboard still works but spaces and all windows does not, everything else (front/back buttons, left/right click, and search button) on the MX works fine. I'm waiting to see if Logitech puts out an update to LCC.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I imagine that Logitech or one of the two third party controllers will fix it soon. That would be a little annoyance for me.

10. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out.

11. g725s macrumors member

I bought one. Saw the deal posted at slickdeals.net. I'm liking it. I do get a bit more fatigue because I have to raise my hand up more to use the scroll wheel though. Compared to the Mighty Mouse that is. I like the extra feature better and the scroll wheel is easier to control.

12. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Wow - sounds like a good deal for the mouse - perhaps I'll have to hit my local WorstBuy after work tomorrow and see if I can score one. Hopefully it's not too late.

Which model did you get for $40?

13. Joemero thread starter macrumors regular

I was actually too late and ended up getting a cheap but great Logitech LS-1 Laser wired mouse at Wal-Mart

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I saw that fix in another thread, so I tried that on my Mini, and LCC still doesn't see my mouse. I hope Logitech updates soon, but I'm not holding my breath.