Logitech MX Revolution Mouse Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Redneck1089, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I bought a Logitech MX Revolution yesterday and love it for the most part. I'm having a problem with one of the buttons, though.

I have assigned the "search" button on the mouse to switch between applications. 75% of the time it works, but once in awhile it reverts back to its search function and opens up a new finder window. Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Did you use steermouse or the native software. I've downloaded the logitech drivers but i can't seem to get them to work on 10.5.

3. ljones macrumors regular

I use Steermouse with my MX500, and it works great. Been using it for a few months now, no problems.

I have mine programmed to iTunes to control changing tracks and volume, press the scroll wheel is for Spaces and the app toggle button launches Dashboard.

To use it with iTunes, i suggest Sizzling Keys.

4. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I used the native software. It installed fine and works, but seems to be buggy. Steer mouse looks interesting, but it's yet another $20. I'd have to spend after already spending $100.

5. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Make sure you download the latest Logitech Control Center, version 2.4. It doesn't have the "bugginess" the older versions have.

6. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

That's what I had. I deleted it and reinstalled it. Everything seems to be working perfectly now, and I'm definitely lovin' my new mouse. Kicks the crap out of the Mighty Mouse!

Thanks everyone for the help.

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

8. ljones macrumors regular

FYI, if you get the logitech software running, don't try any other mouse control software, or you risk not getting the logitech software to work again, regardless of reinstalling.

Control Center worked fine for me until I was testing a different mouse. I tried some other program which work, but didn't like the mouse so I went back to my MX500. And I couldn't get Logitech back. So after the trail was up for the other software, the name slips my memory, I used the Steermouse trail, and basically bought that since the Control Center never worked after various attempts.

9. jfeldstein macrumors newbie

Is there any way to set the left and right tilt of the scroll wheel to play/pause and skip tracks in itunes using the logitech software?

10. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Just tried it here the play/pause does not seem to generate a keystroke that the Control Center software will recognize.

11. jfeldstein macrumors newbie

I figured it out. If you don't have quicksilver installed, get it. and then install the itunes plugin. set the buttons you want to control your music (i have the tilting of the main wheel: left pauses, right skips track) to keystrokes. Set some obscure keystroke to the button (left was cmd-shift-P right was cmd-shift-N) and then go into quicksilvers triggers menu. set a trigger for the itunes play/pause command and for the skip track command so that the actions respond to the appropriate keystrokes that the mouse buttons fire.

Works like a charm.

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well without QS the software I use for my MX (USB Overdrive) makes it easy- just map a keyboard stroke "space" for play/pause to the left tilt and "command+right arrow" for next track on the right tilt.

I would assume that same keystroke would work just as well in the Logitech software as those are the native iTunes keystrokes to accomplish those two tasks.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work with the LCC.

I'm curious how well USB Overdrive works with the MX Rev. Does it support all the functions, like the automatic "frictionless" scrolling? The problem I had with Steermouse and this mouse is that the mouse would occasionally "forget" what mode it was supposed to be in and revert to the middle wheel button switching between scrolling modes, instead of middle-click (and automatic scroll switching based on how fast you spin the wheel) which is what I have it set to. A quick unplug of the USB receiver would fix it but it got on my nerves.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well the best thing to do is give their demo a try, but from my experience I can't imagine not having USB Overdrive with my MX. I don't quite understand what you are seeking to do with your mouse (but I've been working all night so it's me!) but I just found this note in the support section of the website under troubleshooting ( http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Support.html ):