Logitech MX Revolution Mouse Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macnator, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hello everybody. Sorry if this has been asked before! :D

My question about the logitech MX revolution mouse is this:
    Can all the buttons on the mouse be programmed to do different functions in Mac OS X? Like can one be assigned to Expose, Dashboard, etc?
    I would hate to spend a lot on a mouse only to have the buttons non=programmable.

Thanks for your help! :)

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Is this generally agreed to be the best mouse still? I'm surprised it's still £70 after so long.

Expecting my Mighty Mouse to scroll down is just out of the question now.

3. iHusky macrumors newbie

I don't believe it's (easily) programable out of the box, but I know of an application called steermouse that is pretty useful in this regard. It will do exactly what you're needing (I use it for the same stuff with my VX Revolution) and is very easy to set up. The only downside - it costs $20

4. osin macrumors 6502

yes, they can be programmed without spending any money on other software.
    to be able to do it you must install the driver from included CD or download the newest software from logitech's website: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/downloads/&cl=us,en (the newest driver is 2.6) and you are ready to program your mouse as you want. the only thing that will not work is "hyper scrolling" (if your mouse will have this function...)

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As kosin mentioned above, the Logitech Control Center software that comes with it works fine for customizing the way you have described by telling the buttons to just execute a keystroke or choosing one of the many predefined functions that are built into LCC. On the MX Revolution there are at least 8 different buttons/actions that can be programmed with whatever you like.

Just get it! :D The pain of the price will fade away soon enough the first time you use the hyperfast scolling with no clicks from the scroll wheel. It is truly a unique mouse- not an easy thing to do in mouse devices!

6. Gordy macrumors 6502a

They are a lot less than that now http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=480704

It's the best mouse I've ever used, but the software lets it down. Also the mouse wheel is noisey when switching between free spin and clicky.

Battery life isn't as good as the previous MX1000 either.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Agreed 100% about the software, but simply replacing Logitech's Control Center software with "USB Overdrive" takes care of that in short order! :D

Haven't noticed the battery life problem myself compared to my former MX1000 as I just put it on the charging cradle when I am done using it after each session so it is always charged when I sit down to use it.

8. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The only thing I can't figure out how to program my Revolution to do is the Control-Scroll to zoom in and out. Am I missing something?

9. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I tend to only charge when it needs it so I notice the difference a lot. It's shorter by a day or two on the rev.