Logitech MX Revolution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stephenc92, Feb 23, 2008.

1. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

I just bought an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard for my MacBook and I love it. I want a Logitech MX Revolution wireless mouse to go with it, because I hate Apple's mighty mouse. Will a Bluetooth version be coming soon? Or should I go ahead and buy it now for £50.

2. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I doubt the MX Revolution will ever be offered in Bluetooth. I say that partially because the MX1000 was never available as such. Also, since it has a charging cradle, what would you gain from having a Bluetooth version? You'd still need the dock sitting on your desk. If I did not already have a MX1000 I would buy the MX Revolution.

3. Gen3tix macrumors newbie

Actually, there should be a Bluetooth version of the MX Revolution coming out in a little while.
    Link

I use the current MX Revolution with the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and I'm quite happy with them. Honestly, unless you really need bluetooth for whatever reason, I'd just get the MX Revolution that's out now.

If you look around, you can find them for great prices. I was able to get mine for about $40 at a local store.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, there's a real deficit of quality bluetooth mice. But I bought the MX Revolution for my MacBook Pro (And I love it. Superb mouse. How do people get along without 6+ buttons?). I have a 7-port USB hub I connect the mouse and other devices to the laptop when at my desk.

You might also consider the Revolution nano -- it has the tiny receiver that fits almost invisiblity into a USB port. If you can spare the port, this might be a good solution. And the mouse is small enough to be a travel mouse, too.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The little USB dongle for my MX Revolution when inserted into the right side USB port on my Apple aluminum keyboard sticks out about 1.5cm. I would not be using that port otherwise. I really don't see what the big deal with having a Bluetooth version of this mouse is.

By the way it is far and away the finest mouse I've ever owned. I can't recommend it highly enough. :)

6. jsl757 macrumors newbie

I too have the logitech mx revolution plugged in to the side of my wired apple keyboard. It really does not stick out that much and it is by far the best mouse I have ever owned.

7. c073186 macrumors 6502a

What would be the advantage to a Bluetooth MX Revolution? I can only think of the fact that you would not need a receiver, therefore reducing clutter. But if you want to recharge the mouse then you would still need the base on your desktop. Is there some other advantage? I use the MX1000 and it is incredibly smooth and accurate, I cannot imagine it getting much better (in terms of wireless quality - the MX Revolution may be a better physical device).

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

actually, there is already a bluetooth version of the MX Revolution. However, it's only available as part of the MX 5500 Cordless Desktop package.

Given that the mouse actually already exists, I would imagine we'll see it sold stand-alone fairly soon.

That said, a bluetooth VX Revolution is the one I'm waiting for. :cool:

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The base does not need to be taken with the laptop. While the receiver would.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

True, but the receiver is a tiny dongle about half the length of a thumb drive. :p

Plus, depending on how long you are away and the level of usage you're going to need that recharging base since there are no user-replaceable batteries.

I still say it's a non-issue, for me anyway. ;)

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Actually Logitech did make a Bluetooth version of the MX 1000 as part of a Bluetooth keyboard-mouse combo, similar to the current 5500 Revolution. Which brings me to...

Doubt it. They made a Bluetooth MX 1000 to go with a keyboard-mouse combo as well, and never released a stand-alone MX 1000 Bluetooth version.

I prefer the VX over the MX myself. It's just the right size.

I'm intrigued by the Nano, but am not sure how small it is. I don't like small mice.

12. Townfan macrumors newbie

Logitech have a bluetooth mouse (Logitech V470) which I use with my MBP. Not as many buttons as the Revolution, but the batteries last for a long time and its a nice size for carrying around.

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a MX Revolution for my Mac Pro. Does anyone else still get lag while scrolling? I clicked the scroll wheel to activate the speed scroll, and I still get it.

Also, whenever I click the scroll wheel, I feel the electronics shifting internally as if they were loose or something. Does anyone else get that?

I'm hoping I just got a dud. Either way, I'm returning it tonight. I don't know why Apple just won't create a similar mouse. I'd love mighty mouse if it weren't for the akward size and lack of buttons.

14. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Just thought i'd add to this thread, but i'm developing very bad RSI from using the Mighty Mouse, which I have owned since release.

I get terrible wrist aches and clicks, and my fingers cannot be held straight out without trembling.

Whoever is considering upgrading from a Mighty Mouse, DO IT!

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Personally, even for desktop use I prefer the slightly smaller VX. It doesn't have some of the more advanced features of the MX but I find it not just a better 'use-anywhere' mouse but also better feeling to the hand.

There's something about the way the MX behaves on a Mac using either the included or third-party software that I really don't like over Windows using the Logitech software. It's little things like the fact that the microgear disengagement isn't reliable under OS X, but it all served to irritate me enough to withdraw using the MX on all my desktop Macs.

But its also annoying under Windows, even though it's behaviour in general might be more consistent. Things like the chronically short battery life. A couple of days of hard mousing and it's out of puff, and being me I often forget to put it back in the cradle - so when I come back after a few weeks it's dead. Got so fed up of this that I recently replaced all my MX mice with either batteried (VX) or corded (G9) models.

In fact, apart from the scroll wheel I prefer the MX1000 in almost all respects to the MX. The 1000 works flawlessly on a Mac or PC, moves almost as smoothly as the MX does and has a long battery life. My few remaining rechargeable wireless mice are now all MX1000's.

16. mcb13 macrumors member

I use the VX Nano with my MBP. It's a small notebook style mouse, but I find it every bit as comfortable as the MX Revolution on my desktop. The small reciever is my favorite part. Less than 1/4 inch hanging out of the usb port, so I don't worry about it. Battery life is very good. Two AAA NiMH batteries last more than two or three weeks on a charge. YMMV, of course.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3271&cl=us,en

17. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

This is the one I was thinking about. I've found what you've found that there is a lack of quality in most bluetooth mice but the USB receivers are huge! So I'm really looking into this mouse.

18. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I agree on all points you made, FWIW. The MX1000 was the best mouse I've ever used. Unfortunately, it has started to die on me after 3 years of heavy use, and I couldn't find a reliable vendor for a replacement. I tried the MX, but found it uncomfortable for my hand (I have pretty average-size hands, I think). The VX Revolution has been a much better option for me...

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Maybe you had a bad MX (or multiple faulty ones). I have not once experienced any difficulty with the microgear disengagement on mine, not even once. I use the Steermouse drivers which are phenomenal. I've heard the newest Logitech Control Center drivers without APE are much improved as well but don't work with Growl and I need my Growl notifications.

I have no problems with battery life on my MX either. I use it heavily and often forget to replace it on the charging stand overnight. It has yet to drop below 3 bars of charge for me. I would say excellent battery life is one of it's best features.

I can't comment on it in comparison to the MX1000 having never owned one but I had the Logitech S530 desktop with the MX600 mouse and it had problems galore. The worst was it would constantly issue double-clicks with single clicks.

Some say the MX is too large. I don't think my hands are particularly large and I find the mouse to be a perfect fit.

I've said it before and will say it again: the MX Revolution is by far the finest mouse I've ever owned. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

20. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I tried the VX Revolution mouse and loved how it felt with my hand size. I had to return it b/c it never seemed to work. There is no doubt in my mind it's driver related and the Logitech LLC was the worst. The mouse worked better without the Logitech software but then I was faced with not being able to use the full features of the VX Revolution.

Scrolling was terrible. I would be willing to give it another go if someone could point me in the right direction with the software.

Is the steermouse software free? Does it work much better than the Logitech software?

Currently I'm using the VX Nano and I love the mouse it works great but it's a bit on the small side for my hand. I was so bummed when I had to return the MX Revolution.

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

No, it costs $20. It is well worth it. :)

Yes, absolutely.

It is a ridiculous situation that a third party makes better drivers for hardware than it's own manufacturer. I hope Logitech keeps improving their drivers to answer all of their user's complaints.

22. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

23. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I got one a few days ago. Make sure your receiver is at least 2 feet away. If its too close it lags. The click sound you get while clicking the scroll wheel is normal. It toggles between smooth and click scrolling. I played with mine a bit and it got stuck, had to shake it to get it loose. Other then that it works well with steermouse and is comfortable, much more comfortable then the mighty mouse. I have 28 days to return it, so if something comes up I will.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I love my MX Revo. I use a regular 2 button+scroll wheel mouse at work and hate it, I'm always hitting thumb buttons that aren't there or trying to speed scroll. And yes, Steer Mouse is a must. The Logitech software that comes with it is crap