Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I've just got a Logitech Performance MX mouse which is working perfectly under Snow Leopard, but I've noticed that the green battery LEDs keep lighting up every few seconds. According to the Logitech site, they only come on to indicate battery life when you turn the mouse on, then they go off. I've turned the mouse on and haven't turned it off yet, but the lights flash on and off.

The wireless connection is fine and hasn't dropped, I have the latest Logitech Control Center downloaded from Logitech, and the battery charge is good (although I haven't charged it yet, it came fully charged out of the box).

Anyone had a similar experience?

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Okay, so is my PMX continuously going to sleep and waking up all day long? Is there any way to control that? I can't see anything in the Logitech Control Center.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
After about 48 hours of use, the performance of my new Performance MX seems to be going downhill. It now sticks a lot, becoming totally unresponsive for seconds at a time until it wakes up. I thought it was because it was idle, but I was in the middle of World of Warcraft and suddenly it froze on me in the middle of a fight, during which I was constantly left and right-clicking and moving the mouse.

It also seems to stop the computer from going to sleep or for the screensaver to go on (and in World of Warcraft I never went AFK if I left the game running).

The lights are still going on and off regularly.

I've tried USB Overdrive and Steermouse instead of the Logitech Control Center, but it hasn't made any difference.

I am presuming this is yet another Snow Leopard issue. Perhaps I should finally downgrade to Leopard, so the mouse will work properly?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
sounds like a faulty mouse maybe. I run a PMX on Snow Leo and on Windows 7 and works great. I suggest you contact Logitech customer service.

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
San Diego
If you have lots of 2.4Ghz device (phone, microwave, 802.11b/g, etc) your mouse won't work well. Try to find a place where there is less interference.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I've decided to take it back tomorrow - I rang Logitech and they said it was faulty (not that the support guy knew that much about it).

It seems the only viable replacement is a Razer Mamba, which is another £20. However, I've read mixed reports out it, including on this forum.

Perhaps I should try and find a Logitech Revolution MX, as they seem to be very reliable and well-reviewed?

Anybody got any recommendations?

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Get another PMX, things work great when you get a good one.

So you run yours under Snow Leopard? You don't have any intermittant connection loses, unresponsiveness, etc? That's my main problem now. Every few minutes it'll freeze up for a few seconds.

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
try to disconnect the battery from inside the mouse and put it back in or try fully charging it and see what happens, i have the same mouse and it is the best

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
try to disconnect the battery from inside the mouse and put it back in or try fully charging it and see what happens, i have the same mouse and it is the best

Battery is fully charged. I've just taken the battery out and put it back in, no difference.

I did notice when I was charging it via the USB cable that you still need to have the receiver plugged in. I had unplugged it to swap in the cable, but while the mouse charged, it was totally unresponsive. I had to free up another USB port to put the receiver back in. I had assumed it would work via USB (which is surely the point, isn't it?).

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
So you run yours under Snow Leopard? You don't have any intermittant connection loses, unresponsiveness, etc? That's my main problem now. Every few minutes it'll freeze up for a few seconds.

I'm having similar issue with my logitech now, I'm currently in the process of downgrading as I type this. The mouse issues just made my mac pro almost unusable. It is a sad state of affairs when my 10.5.4 msi wind is more usable than my 10.6.2 '09 mac pro :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.