Logitech Performance MX opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Clark, Aug 15, 2014.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Hello, I have a 2013 retinaMBP and I recently upgraded to Yosemite. I am thinking of purchasing the Logitech performance mx mouse but I'd like to know two things first:

1. Your thoughts on the mouse if you own it (I saw a lot of owners in the "Post you mac set up" thread)
    2. Will is work with Yosemite?

If you could give me any insight I would be very greatful!

Thanks
    :D

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Yes yes yes yes. It is the best mouse period.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, I have several of them. It works on Yosemite too. It's the best and more reliable mouse I've ever used.

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

Like most Logitech stiff - lovely to use, looks good but not really built to last.
    The microswitch on the right-hand button on mine started wearing out and producing rogue double-clicks after a year or so (too much Minecraft, I fear). I'd expect better for a premium-proced mouse.

However, I don't really see an alternative if you want a large, ergonomic mouse. I'll probably end up buying another Performance MX...

Best points are size (if you like big mice), ergonomics, works on most surfaces, and the charging cable is designed you can still use the mouse (like an old school wired mouse) while it is recharging.

Haven't tried it with Yosemite but I wouldn't expect any problems: you don't have to use the Logitech Control Centre software.

5. bradleyjx macrumors member

The one complaint I have about Logitech is that almost every kernel panic I have had in the past three years has come from plugging in their unifying receiver to my mbp. I've tried reinstallation among other things, but about 1-in-20ish times, instead of the mbp recognizing my mouse, it kernel panics into a restart.

For reference, I use the Anywhere MX just about everywhere with my mbp; I also have one of Logitech's cheap wireless keyboards or their (discontinued :( ) wireless 10-key regularly connected.

6. DFWHD macrumors regular

Mid 2013 15" rMBP here and have been using the Logitech performance mx mouse for 3 months now and it is great. I also move the unifying receiver a few times a week with no issues...

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I like a large ergonomic mouse.....this is the best I've found.

9. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

thanks for all of your replies everyone. I'll be heading to Best Buy later today! Hopefully I'll like it.

10. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Yes I've had one too. It's a great mouse, but I still prefer the magic mouse over it. To me, the big downside with the performance MX was the USB dongle having it hog up a USB port. It's too bad they couldn't make it bluetooth.

11. BCrutchfield macrumors newbie

Instead of dropping $60 on a new one I'd suggest going on eBay and searching for 'Omron Micro Switch Logitech'. I have the same issue with mine from time to time, and it can be fixed for $1 and a pair of decent tweezers. The thing that goes wrong on the mouse is the extremely tiny copper spring inside of each micro switch gets bent, and no longer registers clicks properly.

Replacing these springs with new ones from new micro switches that can be bought on eBay for a dollar or two will resolve the issue for another couple years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Micro-...780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cd13a20c

Hope this helps.

12. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I just swapped my Magic Mouse for an MX. I like it better overall. Mainly switched because the Magic Mouse was terrible for my occasional gaming. I thought it felt kind of big at first but really got comfortable fast. I don't like the scroll wheel though.

13. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

14. bradkb macrumors member

Used logitech mice for years, and always this line, the older one I felt fitted the hand slightly better, this one took a while to get used to.

Love it so much, got my boss to buy one for my work PC.... :)

And their hardware support is superb. Had a few left clicks fail over the years (I am a developer), and they replaced each one under warranty. 3 year warranty as standard and some lines have 5 years.

Last time, I logged a call, spoke with them by their ticket system, and a replacement was shipped, arrived a couple of days later.

Great support will always get my business.

15. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Works great, especially switching between work PCs and my Macs. It's got to a point now that it always goes with me on site (i also have the solar keyboard so one dongle sits in my dell monitor at home, the other in the mouse).

I personally ignored the advice and tried using rechargeable batteries (2500mAH I think) but they just didn't last, so reluctantly gone back to single use alkaline ones. The mouse feels very comfortable, even in my tiny hands, good weight, but watch the battery level - anything around fair and I find they have to be replaced as mine just skips about all over the place!

16. umbilical macrumors 6502a

same thing! here! Im at 1 click to "buy now" on the MX but...

my big question is! is heavy???? more or same heavy than the mighty mouse with batteries that I have right now (I hate the mighty mouse is no ergonomic at all... too heavy!)

yes a mouse need to be a little heavy but not too much like might mouse with batteries... is a lot heavy.

by the way, a lot people still like more the old Revolution vs the Performance...

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I love mine. I've bought one for maybe 5-6 of the desktop computers I have used over the years. Always the best.

Sadly they decide a year ago to move from better Eneloop batteries to these cheap GF Power ones that don't really hold a good charge.

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah. I use it without any additional drivers on OS X 10.6-10.10. It needs one fresh eneloop battery every 7 to 14 days.

Most people who have problems with the batteries charge the mouse via USB or use unfit batteries.

I use the AA eneloop rechargeable batteries together with this charger: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00454YCWY

Before you use them, use the "Cycle" program to discharge and charge the batteries 5 times.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Here.....Yosemite + MX Logitech = Happy Camper

20. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

i use the Logitech Anywhere MX mouse... All my computer use one

21. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

Can you say more about that? Why is that so good?

22. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

as an architect I use a lot software, which requires a certain accuracy in using a mouse (CAD, 3D Modelling, etc... Diablo 3 :) :) :) ) Coming from a Windows machine, I was shocked by OSX's mouse handling. Everything was choppy and the acceleration was far far away from what I was used to. I tried different help apps, like the Logitech Software an also some other little tools, which names I don't remember anymore, and last but not least I found smoothmouse, which solved my problems instantly, and I use it until today and will use it also in 10.10.

23. nightfighter macrumors newbie

Do you all find that yosemite works with the performance MX's multiple buttons? Does logitech control centre work better in Yosemite than it does in Mavericks?

24. PapaC macrumors newbie

Re the configuration options available for the MX with smooth mouse?
    It's telling me to uninstall Logitech Control Center for it to work properly.

25. AMCarter3 macrumors newbie

Actually, the current Logitech Control Center software driver (ver. 3.9.1) does NOT work at all with Yosemite. Lots of people are reporting this issue on many different sites like this one.

Upgraded to Yosemite. Logitech Performance MX mouse will point, but the buttons on mouse do not work. Tried re-booting, reinstalling the Control Center software driver and changing the USB port the receiver is plugged into. Nothing works. Searched on Logitech.com for new, updated driver -- there isn't one! Called Logitech (646) 454-3200 -- waited 25 mins / was disconnected. Called again; waited 25 mins - finally got some hollow support guy who knew NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, about when or IF there would be a driver update. Even spoke to a supervisor - same.

FIrst, I think this IS a software driver issue. My Kensington mice and trackballs work just fine. Second, Logitech customer support has to be one of the worst I've encountered. Regardless, I suggest that everyone call them and demand a driver update that works with Yosemite!