Logitech Performance MX vs Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Aug 4, 2010.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Right now I am using a wired Mighty Mouse. It's not meant to be a permanent solution, so I want to get either a Logitech Performance MX vs Magic Trackpad?

I've used both in stores sampling them out, but am a little afraid to put down $70 for a device and then not like it for what I do.

I do a lot of photo and video editing in Aperture and iMovie. I'm not a pro, I just do this as a hobby. I work in photoshop every so often. Other than that I'm usually just browsing the web.

I've used the Magic Mouse before as my main mouse for 9 months and liked it a lot. And I've used the Logitech MX Revolution for about 2 years and really liked that as well. But I'm not sure which one would be better for my workflow?

Any advice?

2. brendu macrumors 68020

I was planning on buying the magic trackpad today but when I played with it at the apple store decided not to because its just too big to use comfortably for a long time. I dont have small hands at all and I just felt like it was uncomfortable to use the one finger for the cursor because I had to keep the rest of my hand off the trackpad... Maybe there are some settings that can be changed to make it less sensitive to other touches but I was pretty upset about it.. I still prefer the magic mouse.

3. = bluntman = macrumors regular

My MX Revolution mouse recently died, but I was lucky enough to find a Performance MX mouse on sale. Shortly after that purchase the Magic Trackpad was released and I wanted to try it out.

I use Lightroom and CS5 regularly, and on occasion, have used iMovie. The MTP needed some getting used to with these programs but after customizing the MTP with the MTP software and BetterTouchTool I found myself using the MTP more than the Performance MX mouse!

For more involved photo editing work I would use my Intuos3 tablet and I mean to try out Inklet in the near future. Suffice it to say, thanks to the store's 30 day return policy I was able to return the Performance MX mouse for a full refund.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Performance MX is a mouse, the Magic Trackpad is a trackpad. They are not similar peripherals...

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

They are both input devices. I think they are similar.

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

To be fair though, that's like saying that a bike and a car are both transportation devices.

You couldn't use the trackpad for gaming, and you couldn't use the mouse for complicated gestures or as (potentially) a device similar to a Wacom tablet with pen.

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

True. But I said I don't do gaming. For what I do would it matter? I guess I'm just stuck. I would get both, but I don't want to use both!

8. SvenSvenson macrumors regular

You want us to tell you if you'd prefer a mouse or a trackpad? That's something only you can decide. If you were asking about 2 mice, or 2 trackpads, it'd be different and people could give pros and cons on both. That's why miles01110 said what he said.

For what it's worth, I got a Magic Trackpad after getting used to the trackpad on my new Unibody MBP and then missing it when using my Mighty Mouse when using it in clamshell mode.

I now have mouse and trackpad available. I use the trackpad for general navigation but sometimes I reach for the mouse.

Steve

9. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure which I prefer. Just looking for a pointing device. I've used the macbook pro trackpads which I loved. I loved the gestures. One of the reasons why I like the Magic Mouse is the gesture support, but it's a small surface area for gestures.

I liked using the MX Revolution when I had it for a two-year period. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want the Magic Trackpad, but am a little worrisome if it will be accurate enough for photoshop or imovie. Or if it will be harder to click and drag or move windows around.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Trackpads are less accurate and less suited for dragging than mice (mouses?) are. Whether it's accurate "enough" for you, nobody knows besides yourself.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I do a lot of photo and video editing in Aperture and iMovie. I'm not a pro, I just do this as a hobby. I work in photoshop every so often"

I'm going to _guess_ that you need a pointing device that offers a high degree of precision for what you like to do.

In that case, I'd reckon that NO trackpad-based device out there is going to be the equal of a good mouse for this kind of thing. They just don't have the "delicacy of movement".

12. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I use both. At home for general browsing and light computer work the trackpad is great. At work where I do coding, PS, Aperture, FCPX, etc I need more precise and fast control. A mouse is almost essential.

With Lion there are many times I want to have the features of the trackpad. Great for scrolling, or going through many web pages. It just helps you work faster by using a gesture than moving the mouse all over. Every second counts (unless you are a Time Lord).

I'm using a MX510, Wacom Intuos 3 11x6, and soon to be a Magic Mouse. Each has their use and helps me work that much faster.