Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro as a Flash webcam?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ack, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Ack macrumors member

I need a webcam for my Mac Pro. I'm currently running Leopard but plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard soon. I'm looking at the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro, but I've read reviews that say it works well in applications like iChat and Skype, but isn't recognized as a webcam by Adobe Flash Player for use on Flash chat websites like tinychat.com and stickam.com. I really need a webcam that is recognized and compatible with Flash Player.

Can anyone with a Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro confirm whether it works through Flash player on sites like tinychat or stickam? If not, can anyone recommend a webcam that works well on a Mac for Flash-driven sites like these?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The problem with the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro in Flash is not with the webcam. The Logitech device works as well as can be expected. The problem is with Flash. It is crap.

3. Ack thread starter macrumors member

So are you confirming that there actually is a problem with the Logitech webcam under Flash, or are you just ranting about Flash? The Logitech webcam is useless to me if it doesn't work with Flash because that's the main reason I need a webcam.

Regardless of whether it's Adobe, Apple, or Logitech's fault, I just need to find a webcam that WILL work properly under Flash on a Mac. Can anyone help me out?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I told you that the Logitech webcam worked as well as can be expected. To put it another way, no other webcam can be expected to work better. OK? You may be enamored with Flash. However, that does not mean that there is a workaround for Flash's problems. This goes in the column "Wishing does not make it so."

My first encounter with Flash and a webcam lead me to the astoundingly dumb choice that Flash made to implement Flash's control panel as a webpage on the Adobe.com website. Call it a rant or call it whatever you want. No amount cool and calm will fix the dumb decisions that are Flash.

My suggestion to you it to give it your best shot. Then let it go and find another way to do what you want. The alternative is to keep wishing.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Coincidentally, I just attached a Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro earlier today. I must say it puts out a really crisp and accurate image - I was pretty amazed at its performance with Skype and Quicktime compared to the iSight I had used on my 2006 Mac Pro previously, which doesn't seem to work on this 2009 Mac Pro.

However, logging on to some Flash image generation websites, the Vision Pro does not appear to be accessible to the Flash plugin.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You must use Flash's god-awful web-based control panel to associate your webcam with your Flash plug-in.

7. Ack thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to update this old post to say that I did go ahead and buy the Logitech Quickcam Vision Pro and it does work fine through Flash (after giving it the proper permissions in Flash Player's god-awful web-based control panel).

8. pete06 macrumors newbie

how did you do this ??

ACK,

I have this exact same problem, thanks to google I have come across your post. How did you associate the Logitech to the Flash plugin? Im trying to fugure out what this web based console is??

THanks!!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It on the Flash website. That is correct. Adobe in its infinite wisdom forces you to go to its website to configure a peripheral connected directly to your computer.

10. keeshond macrumors newbie

The Adobe Flash website seems to offer all sorts of options for controlling the privacy, authorized websites, etc, but I'm not finding anything there that allows you to choose an alternate USB webcam on the Macintosh. Can you give me a clue to what I'm missing?

11. Klaas.1964 macrumors newbie

I'm missing the same thing, probably. Any idea yet, Keeshond?