Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Logitech Releases CREATE Keyboard Case for 9.7-Inch iPad Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Logitech today announced that it is expanding its CREATE Keyboard Case with Smart Connector to the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, making the keyboard available for both of Apple's iPad Pro models.

As on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the CREATE case for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro connects to the three-dot Smart Connector on the tablet, allowing for both power and data transfer. Because it's powered via the iPad, the CREATE case does not need to charge and it does not need to connect to an iPad using Bluetooth.

The CREATE Keyboard Case for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro features backlit keys, a protective case that protects the iPad when it isn't in use, iPad-specific function keys, and an integrated holder for the Apple Pencil. It is available in black and blue.
"CREATE is like the Swiss Army Knife of keyboard cases," said Michele Hermann, vice president of tablet accessories at Logitech. "It puts all the tools you need at your fingertips, and the keyboard charges through the Smart Connector so you can just set your iPad Pro into a typing position and go. It brings typing on the iPad Pro to a whole new level."
When the 12.9-inch iPad Pro launched, Logitech was the sole company to introduce a keyboard case that's able to use the Smart Connector on the tablet, and it continues to be the only company that offers a third-party Smart Connector keyboard solution.

We went hands-on with the CREATE case for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro when it was released. We loved the backlit keys and the general key feel, but felt like it added too much bulk to Apple's thin and light ultra powerful tablet.

The CREATE keyboard case for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro can be purchased starting today from the Logitech website, the online Apple Store, and Apple retail stores. It is priced at $129.99.

Article Link: Logitech Releases CREATE Keyboard Case for 9.7-Inch iPad Pro

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Wonder if it damages the screen like it did with the 12.9"? I never had one, put off by lots of people reporting the problem. Enough that the issue appeared real.

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Wonder if it damages the screen like it did with the 12.9"? I never had one, put off by lots of people reporting the problem. Enough that the issue appeared real.

Interesting. Logitechs keyboard damaged the screen on the 12.9 inch? Something to consider not purchasing to damage my investment.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
I don't necessarily hold up Amazon reviews as the font of all knowledge, far from from it, but enough complaints of it to be worrying. Seen some lengthy discussions in forums and some YouTube videos too.

I don't doubt there's people out there who are completely satisfied with the Create and have never experienced the problem, but screen damage is something I'm not prepared to take any chances on personally.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bac...e=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

Last edited:
Reactions: ardchoille50

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Wouldn't want to type a dissertation on the SK but I'm actually quite impressed by it for light/medium usage balanced against it's relative little heft.

I just wish the Apple Smart Keyboard had shortcut keys, specifically play/pause. Yes yes, bringing up CC from the bottom or on the home screen from sleep is hardly an ordeal, but a single tap of a key is much more efficient. It's the lack of shortcut keys that compelled me to research alternatives like the Create, but I've not been too impressed with these alternatives. Too few use the Smart Connector, had hoped this would have improved nearly a year on.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevTEG and Arran

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
I don't necessarily hold up Amazon reviews as the font of all knowledge, far from from it, but enough complaints of it to be worrying. Seen some lengthy discussions in forums and some YouTube videos too.

I don't doubt there's people out there who are completely satisfied with the Create and have never experienced the problem, but screen damage is something I'm not prepared to take any chances on personally.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Bac...e=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0
It looks like that issue is caused by the wrist rest, which the 9.7 keyboard lacks.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I can only speak for impressions of the 12.9" version obviously.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Interesting. Logitechs keyboard damaged the screen on the 12.9 inch? Something to consider not purchasing to damage my investment.

The reviews claim it's the hard lip of the plastic palm rest causing the damage to screens. This model doesn't seem to have the same design - no palm rest at all - so maybe this one is safer. A screen protector would still be a good idea though.

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Lacks the flexibility of the ASK:

- Have to have a back case
- Have to have THEIR back case
- Can't rip the keyboard off when not needed and still have back protection from a case.
- Look like it would be a mare to fold back and use the tablet as a tablet.

But I'm sure others will love it and it fits their needs.

Reactions: sracer and Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I bought the 12.9 inch version. Too bulky and heavy to go in my backpack along with my work laptop (Windows :() for a week-long trip. Awkward to remove too - so no mitigating factors. The smaller 9.7" version might fare better?

Returned it and just paid the "Apple tax" for Apple's smart keyboard and silicone back cover. Turns out they're worth the money. Pretty well-thought-out designs.

Reactions: Peter K.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I have the 12.9 version and never use it. It's heavy and bulky, exactly what you *don't* want out of an iPad keyboard. With that case on I may as well haul around my rMBP. On the plus side it is slightly more stable (than Apple Smart Keyboard) for lap use but still not perfect, depending on how you rest it the smart connector doesn't stay in perfect contact.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
The Zagg Slimbook looked OK until I read about the hinge cracking after prolonged useage.

I'm keeping an eye on the Brydge keyboard for the 12.9, it's either out or imminent.

Reactions: RevTEG

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
When the 12.9-inch iPad Pro launched, Logitech was the sole company to introduce a keyboard case that's able to use the Smart Connector on the tablet, and it continues to be the only company that offers a third-party Smart Connector keyboard solution.
Is this because of licensing costs to use the connector?

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
It's an ipad. With a lug about keyboard. Ipad concept is... you don't have a keyboard. That's the point. Do you see? Next!
The iPad featured accessory keyboards from day one. It is an option, and most people appreciate additional options.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
The iPad featured accessory keyboards from day one. It is an option, and most people appreciate additional options.

I agree.

Personally never bothered with keyboards until the Pro, the iPad is predominantly an entertainment device for me, but I appreciate the added functionality of the SK, adds only marginally more bulk assuming you were getting a Smart Cover anyway.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-mechanical-keyboard-case-ipad-pro
I love the look of the new Razer keyboard for the big iPad Pro. The only issue I have with it is it being a Bluetooth keyboard and not a smart connector keyboard. I might still get it though and see how it compares to my Apple keyboard cover that automatically works once you connect it.
[doublepost=1470154815][/doublepost]
The Zagg Slimbook looked OK until I read about the hinge cracking after prolonged useage.

I'm keeping an eye on the Brydge keyboard for the 12.9, it's either out or imminent.

You should take a look at the Razer keyboard for that price.

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-mechanical-keyboard-case-ipad-pro
I love the look of the new Razer keyboard for the big iPad Pro. The only issue I have with it is it being a Bluetooth keyboard and not a smart connector keyboard. I might still get it though and see how it compares to my Apple keyboard cover that automatically works once you connect it.
[doublepost=1470154815][/doublepost]

You should take a look at the Razer keyboard for that price.

I looked into that as well, but was put off by the lengthy negative impressions of a comment on Anandtech.

Here's a link, the comment by user poorimpulse on the second page of comments;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10487...anical-switch-keyboard-for-the-apple-ipad-pro

I'm a real downer on this thread aren't I? Sorry! It's just that it's something I've looked into extensively and haven't found a better alternative (for me) than the SK. I can't understate how much I'd really like some function keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.