Logitech Solar Keyboard Folio

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Pipper99, May 12, 2012.

1. Pipper99, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

2. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Edit your thread title.

3. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

4. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I couldn't see how to do it. I'll try again later.

5. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Editing title

Just go to advanced...

6. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Ah. Thank you!

7. madat42 macrumors regular

Nice! Please post your impressions and more pics if you are willing. I'd like to see if you can fold the cover behind the iPad and how usable it is. Thank you! :)

8. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Bought one at Best Buy on Saturday. Had this for less than a day. Returned it. It's a lot bigger and bulkier than the Ultrathin. Also, the sleep/wake function kept triggering (could have just been the case I picked up). It's really nice, but the Ultrathin is nicer and much more sleek. Also, if you're like me, which you may not be, but I like my Smart Cover and a back shell. The Ultrathin is an easy off and switch solution. The Solar Keyboard is a folio. It's just not as practical for me. Hard call, but in the end, my cons were more than my pros, so I returned it. Curious to see what others think.

9. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm thinking that I agree with your impressions. I'm going to live with it for a while, but I might be returning it for the Ultrathin, too. Typing on it is nice, but I don't like using the iPad with the keyboard folded around the back like a typical folio case: it's kind of unpleasant feeling those keys on the back when holding it that way, and the case feels too loosey goosey. I can see how the sleep/wake function could keep triggering, too.

10. eg2007 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it was a hard call, but I think I made the right choice. If you haven't already, you should test out that Ultrathin one too so you can compare and contrast.

11. ChrisTX, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Seriously thinking about getting this solar case for the iPad. Seeing other people talk about the ultra thin, my only question is what do you do with the keyboard portion if you don't want to use it but still need to use the iPad? Does it attach to the bottom of the iPad? Interested to see the OP thoughts on the solar powered ones. I just saw this today, and would love to replace my incase folio with this.

Edit: I just went and looked at this at Best Buy, and the materials used seemed kind of cheap for a $129 case. Can anyone comment on this at all?

12. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I just picked up the Solar case....I think this is a pretty awesome case. I debated for a while on the ultrathin vs the folio, and truth be told, I have my ipad in a folio anyway so this does not feel any different for me. There are many instances that I need to type and many instances I like holding my ipad like a book. This folio allows me to fold the keyboard back and do this....with the ultrathin I would have had to take it off each time I want to use it in that fashion, then remember to put it back on, plus i would have had to find a way to protect the back. I also own a zagg folio, and while I love its keyboard, this is even more limiting and thick.....to the person who commented on its thickness, this is a pretty slim folio, not thick by any means...ultrathin is thinner, but its a different form, and of course doesnt off the full body protection...I just got this so still figuring some things out, feel free to ask any questions....

13. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm strongly considering this case, do you have any experience with the clam case? I was wondering how this ones compares. I have an incase leather folio already so I am attracted to this form factor, however it seems like the materials used are a little cheap no?

14. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

i don't find the materials to look cheap....I suppose if you are coming from a high quality leather folio it might not look as nice as that, but it is quite a nice case in terms of quality. Again, I have only had it a day so if in a month or so the thing breaks down, then I will have changed my mind...but it seems like its well made for the time being.....

I will not while the keyboard is folded back, it does function nicely but I wish there were something that held it together, there are a few too many moving parts....Still love it so far though...

15. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

This is probably the case I will go with. Clamcase seems to be online only which I'm not a fan of. Thanks for the reply.

16. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I currently have a zagg folio which I am not too satisfied with, I might be wanting to purchase this case or the ultra thin, what are your opinions on each compared to the zagg folio?

17. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

i sat in Best Buy for over an hour the other day trying to decide which I liked better...I played with them, and you know, it just depends on what kind of person you are....I use my ipad in landscape probably 90% of the time, and most certainly everytime I type....The ultrathin is real nice, but again, you will have to be able to protect the back of the ipad, some have bought zagg invisible shields and such and that works fine, but in the end, you can fold it back behind the ipad which means you will have to take it off all the time, to use it as a keyboard or to use the ipad by itself...so the magents is basically just a storage area.....whereas, with the folio you can fold it backand use it in any orientation you want....now the drawback with the folio is that you wont be able to type in vertical mode if you want....you would have to remove the ipad and set it vertically for this to work and even then im not sure it really will since the keyboard can detect the position of the ipad relative to the keyboard.

now as for the Zagg comparison, I just find it bulky, I really like the Zagg keyboard, I have 2 for both ipads in my house...but this setup was more my style and much thinner and more intuitive...I never liked the locking clasp of the Zagg...too hard to close and open quickly....plus again, you cant really fold the keyboard back against the ipad to hold in landscape mode easily....with the zagg, I just kept one at home and one at work to have around when I needed it....but never used it as an everyday folio....my intention with this folio is to use it everyday and rarely ever have to remove my ipad....If I do remove my ipad, I would just use it as normal with a spare smart cover I have, just as I would with the ultrathin....

18. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Thanks for all that information.

I guess everyone has different wants and needs. I personally dont like the zagg folio because its hard to take out and puts dents in my invisible shield. I usually only use my keyboard when I travel. Most of the time I use my iPad around the house with just a front and back invisible shield.

So I feel like when I need the keyboard it would be easier to use the ultra thin because I can just snap it on real quick and go. But with that I am debating on using the Zagg divide which is their iPad bag. I feel like this set up will be good for me.

19. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

how did the keyboard on the solar folio compare to the ultraslim? same?

20. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

pretty much the same, ultrathin is a bit bigger but the solar is by no means uncomfortable. I find both keyboards comparable to the apple bluetooth keyboard...number keys are smaller but both keyboards well spaced...