Logitech to Upgrade Harmony Link Owners for Free Following Online Backlash

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. theoski macrumors member

What about any other products that they abandoned like Logitech Alert 2 $300 outdoor camera which became a paperweight? I would stay from Logitech all together. They dont bring anything innovative to the table to overlook their crappy support.

2. macTW Suspended

“I bought a device 6 years ago and the warranty ended. Now they’re ending support. Wahhhh gimme free stuff cheap company!!”

smh people these days.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

They weren’t just ending support, they were bricking the device. Meaning anybody with a fully functioning Link will not be able to use it anymore. It’s not unreasonable to expect Logitech to accommodate those customers.

4. macTW Suspended

Unless there was a guarantee for continued use, it’s not unreasonable for the company to end support and quit allowing access.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

What electronic device comes with a guarantee for continued use? You buy it expecting for it to work until it stops working on its own. It’s not whiny to be upset that your device is bricked due to the manufacturer flipping a switch. It’s one thing to stop releasing updates but to brick it is borderline stealing.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's totally unreasonable for a company to brick a device they were recently selling to people. Somehow I don't think you would feel is was reasonable for Apple to brick your computer, phone, or ipad that you just bought last year.

7. macTW Suspended

Company should have forewarned, which I believe they did. Buying a 6 year old device when there are as cheap but better alternatives isn’t wise.

The company has every right to do this. Even if I don’t like it. Just because a consumer doesn’t like it doesn’t mean much.

8. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

I suppose everyone who owns an analog TV should be given a free digital one since networks don't air analog anymore?

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

There is a difference between planned obsolescence/ending support and going and issuing an update to a device to brick it so it doesn't work at all.

Apple ends service on several devices every year, but doesn't go and brick you macbook.

That was the second party of the outcry : Not only were they bricking it - but they were doing what you described.

The article here is saying that anyone who has one - in or out of warranty - can get it upgraded for free.

This isn't some always-on internet connected device that states it requires a constant connection to work. There would not have been half as much upset if it had been allowed to work under current settings even after it,, unable to add/change settings.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    The government did make a heavily subsidized effort to get converter boxes out to those with older TVs. They were dirt cheap if not free.

10. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

Government not TV makers. TV makers made money on the converters. invalid argument.

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Why would tv makers be responsible for subsidizing the converters when the government was responsible for the switch?

12. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

That's at odds with my two experiences with Logitech Customer Support:

I had one trackball fail. They sent me a new one free, no registration was required. They sent a pre-paid envelope for me to send the old trackball's cut off "tail" back to them as proof of purchase.

After several years my G930 headset's lithium battery eventually stopped taking a charge. Called support and they sent me a new one for $5.00. It even came with a little screwdriver and the process was simple. Try doing that for an Apple product when its battery fails.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You really think there was a sign posted next to the item in a store warning people before they buy? I don't think so.

14. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Correct. They brick stuff all the time then have their little Swiss army scrub the web of their evildoings.

Look, we're not making this stuff up. Just trying to save people from having what's happened to us, happen to the unaware.

If, now that you're aware, still want to waste your $, have at it lol.

15. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Glad I held out after the initial email for the discount. I will take one, thank you very much as it is the only device in my house that can control my IR lutron grafik eye.

16. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

So if your TV just suddenly stopped working after 2,5 years - out of warrenty - because <Company> decides they can't support it anymore you'd be alright with that? If Apple just locks up your iPhone 6 because they deem it not worth supporting anymore?

It's one thing for them to say "Alright, this device is old. You don't get any support anymore." (like Apple does with devices they deem obsolete), but an entirely different matter if you simply can't use the device anymore when it would in fact still work.

17. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Figures. I bought some of their cheese, but it was so full of holes I sent it back.

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

TV makers and station broadcasters were not why we switched to digital broadcasting - that was a government mandate.

19. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Actually your entire argument is invalid.

A better argument would be Samsung, for example, saying "your TV is 6 years old, so we're no longer going to let you use it". This isn't anything to do with a third party/government service being switched off - it's about a device that, in effect, has a built-in kill switch (in the form of a certificate) which they're not going to update.

Another example - say you bought a car, and a few years later Ford said "we're sorry, but the certificate in your ECU is running out, and we're not going to update it, in 6 weeks time your perfectly working car will no longer work, but hey, you can buy a new one for 35% off". It wouldn't be acceptable.

As for Logitech, Harmony is pretty much the only decent remote control system out there. It has bugs, and lacks pretty major features (HomeKit, for example), but it's the best of a bad bunch.

20. DevNull0 macrumors 68000

Why is that always the American knee-jerk reaction? If they're sued successfully, each "victim" will get a coupon worth a lot less than the $35 Logitech originally offered while the lawyers will walk away with $$ millions. It's the American dream of screw the average consumer at its finest..

Besides which, they can't be sued for this because the terms of service that nobody reads protects them.

The better question is why are people going to continue buying their products after this? The next new shiny thing buys forgiveness for anything. How is Sony still in business after rootkits and years of proprietary lock-outs? It amazes me that anyone will still buy Kindles after Amazon has shown they delete content right out of your device when the publisher changes their mind about selling it. And don't even get started on Samsung and their smartTV atrocities, yet people still buy them.

The consumer has shown time and again they're quite happy with this sort of behaviour from Logitech, so why should it change?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 ---
    Apple makes no guarantee your devices will work beyond the warranty period. So if Apple builds in a device that will disable your iPhones, iPads and Macbooks they day after Applecare runs out, that's okay with you? It means they've honored their original promise of product lifetime, right?