iPad Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by queshy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello,

It seems this product was recently updated, and the newer model has great reviews.

How can you tell the difference in store between the two models? I don't want to accidentally purchase the older model.

Thanks!

----------

----------

[/COLOR]I just found a nice video review on YouTube which explains the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAkYqkIESo

The new one has bumpers to protect the screen and the special keys have their own buttons and are no longer combined with the number keys (which are now full sized).

2. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the newer model with the holding groove that tilts. I absolutely love it. I paid $99 for it at Best Buy and it's been super. I've had it for around 2 months and use it daily. Have only charged it once since I got it and it still didn't have the red recharge light on. So I still haven't tested how long it can last on a charge but I'm sure super long. Types very nicely with a full type keyboard with a separate function key row at the top. I also like that it is very lightweight when compared to other keyboards. Best of all, it's super easy to just pick up and go when you want to use the iPad without a keyboard. One other thing that isn't a bother to me is that the autocorrect feature doesn't work with this keyboard. I don't think it does with any third party keyboards, but that's not an issue for me. The misspelled words will still show but just won't autocorrect.

If I had one negative, it would be that you need to be careful that you don't tip the iPad forward while in the groove as it it can fall out. I've had it tip a couple of times and now am more careful. Not an issue that would cause me to stay away from it as all the other features are exactly perfect for me. Also, while in the groove, the magnet is strong enough to pick up both the iPad and the keyboard but hold on to just the iPad. No problems with typing either on a desk, counter or on your lap.

Seriously love this keyboard. One of the best purchases I've made besides the iPad Air.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for your reply.

The hinge on the edge of the keyboard that attaches to the iPad to act as a cover - does it wobble when not in use or is it flush with the keyboard ?

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

It is totally flush with the iPad. What's really neat is that it will come up from the magnet coming near it. At first I would kind of tilt the keyboard upside down to get the hinge to flop down to put the iPad in there. Then I saw a video where the iPad coming near the magnet will cause it to come up and kind of, sort of attach to the iPad. Doesn't work perfectly but pretty good. And I really don't have any problem with the iPad and keyboard staying together when using the keyboard as a cover. I did purchase a RooCase which both fit into nicely. Just added protection if I need to throw both in a briefcase or suitcase.

I really like this keyboard. i'm usually not a keyboard person with the iPad but since getting this one, i usually always use it. The only time I take my iPad out is to read a book or when I'm laying down and using the iPad.

5. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

I ended up getting the case - wonderful typing experience! Reminds me of my wireless Apple keyboard. Also, the shortcut keys are great. I tried the other Logitech keyboards and the layouts are weird and the keys don't feel as nice as this one.

About the magnet hinge - when I tilt the keyboard upside down it easily flops out, and I am able to pop it in and out with my hand - is this normal, or is it only supposed to be able to be freed by a nearby magnet i.e. iPad.

It stays flush with the keyboard when it's flat but can be opened or closed with my hand very easily. Just want to make sure that it is not defective because it seems like a strange design - I wouldn't have expected the hinge to be so floppy.

And one more thing - specifically which case did you get that is able to accommodate both?

Thanks again for your guidance!

6. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

My hinge can flop when I try or move it around but stays pretty secure when gripped to the iPad as a cover.

Okay, it's more a sleeve than a case but I have this one.

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-gener...=1404178848&sr=8-12&keywords=roocase+ipad+air

Glad you like the typing experience. I can just go so much faster with the keyboard.

Another thing, for me, at first I was shutting the keyboard off with the slide button on the side. Then after awhile, I started to just leave it on. It goes to sleep after awhile of idleness but doesn't seem to affect the battery. I've recharged the battery a couple of times but not because it ever got the red light but it went just so many weeks that I figured it must need a charge...:D. One of these days I'm going to just let it go to actually see how many weeks I get from one full charge.

7. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for the guidance. Will probably pick up some kind of sleeve since I don't feel either device will be well protected being thrown into a bag.

The typing experience is the best I've ever tried on a portable keyboard, I'm very impressed.

8. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I am using this keyboard and I am enjoying it as well. I would like to add something to protect the back of the iPad like a screen protector or case.

Does anyone have this type of setup?

Thanks

9. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

My Costco had about 100 of these for $39.99. I grabbed one (only had black), so let me see if it's the new model or not.

Argh. Old model. Sigh.

10. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

My recommendation is to get a sticker for the back. I have a carbon fiber sticker that i got off eBay for like $5 but of course you can get higher quality ones elsewhere. I'm using it with the old Logitech keyboard and I love the set up. Also the stickers are easier to apply than the wet application back protectors.

11. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the idea! I will give that a try.

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I prefer the slimmest look and feel for my iPad. For my white iPad, I have a white carbon fiber type skin on the back. I have the Bodyguardz which is a higher priced skin, but very easy to apply and I've had it on my iPad for 10 months and it still looks like new. The skin gives scratch protection and a better grip than the naked iPad.

With the skin on the back, I can easily go back and forth from using the iPad with only the skin, with the Apple cover or with the Logitech Ultra-thin Keyboard Cover. Then when traveling, I bring the the works in a RooCase zippered pouch.
    This is absolutely the best setup for me and works for whatever need I have.

I really do love the Logitech keyboard. It just is perfect for my needs - white perfectly matches the iPad, is lightweight and typing feeling is really good for an add on keyboard.

13. allisonfranz macrumors member

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

So do you like it?

15. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

16. w00tini macrumors 6502a

17. w00tini macrumors 6502a

bought and returned the new one.... there are no magnets to hold the keyboard and the iPad together when closed. seems like a significant omission to me.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Since I paid with Visa, it was only $20 shipped.

No one replied until the day after I ordered. Oh well, if its no good, I'll just return it.