Logitech Unified Devices, Hubs and FileVault 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by haravikk, Feb 7, 2014.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

Okay, this is a question for all you Logitech peripheral users out there. Currently I have an older MX Revolution, with its receiver connected to a hub, but one thing I've noticed is that during startup (before the login window appears) it simply doesn't function.

This isn't a problem, as I can use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard to manipulate everything up to that point, including login for FileVault 2.

However, I'm looking at getting a new keyboard and am thinking of the Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard for Mac, and may be updating my mouse at the same time.

What I'd like to know is; do Logitech devices using the new unified receiver work correctly for FileVault 2 login and other pre login window operations (selecting startup disk, booting to recovery partition etc.)? If so, do they still work when connected to a typical USB hub? What about if more than one device is setup to use the same receiver?

Basically I just want to make sure I know of any possible difficulties in advance; for example, if the receiver won't work with a hub, then I'll have to investigate whether signal strength will be good enough with it plugged directly in my computer (since it's not in a great location). And if I can't do a FileVault 2 login then it may be a non-starter, and I'll have to stick with Bluetooth.

2. sniderbr macrumors newbie

I am using a Logitech Solar K750 keyboard (for Mac) and a Performance Mouse MX with one unifying receiver plugged in to one of the USB ports on my Dell U3011 monitor. The monitor is connected to my late 2013 rMBP 15" via a CalDigit Thunderbolt Station with an Accell mDP->DP cable and a USB cable to the monitor and an Apple thunderbolt cable to the laptop. I have also installed the Logitech Control Center software.

The keyboard and mouse both work immediately upon boot. I am able to use the keyboard to enter recovery mode (and do things like use Disk Utility) without any problems. I originally had the same concern you do and kept a USB keyboard & mouse on hand in case I had trouble getting into recovery mode with the wireless Logitech devices. No need to plug them back in yet.

I don't have FileVault 2 enabled on my laptop yet, but given that I could enter recovery mode right at power-on, I'm expecting everything to work. I'm planning on enabling FileVault soon, when I do I'll re-test and let you know how it goes.

3. sniderbr macrumors newbie

OK, with FileVault 2 enabled and an EFI password set, I can still hold down <Option> on the Logitech Solar keyboard and choose my boot device. When I do so, I first have to enter the EFI password, then select my boot device, then finally log in with my username/password that is authorized to unlock the FileVault volume. Both the keyboard and the mouse worked just fine through the unifying receiver the entire time.