Logitech V470 vs Kensington slimblade presenter BT mice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morphalex, Dec 7, 2008.

1. morphalex macrumors member

Alright guys I have the v470 in hand and used it extensively for a couple days and I found it very smooth but it does take 2secs to reconnect when mb is asleep. The laser is positioned on the right side of the mouse instead of the usual left so movements were a bit awkward. I felt my aim to be slightly off in games due to the laser positioned. I'll do a more thorough review on both mice when I recieve the Kensington in the mail. I am also typing on my iPhone so a review isn't that fungo do on here LOL. If you guys have other Bluetooth mouse that you use please post your feedback here. Thanks and stay tune for the update!

2. manuel.mx macrumors member

Thanks for the review.

I want to get a Mouse for my macbook, and I already have the Apple Wireless Keyboard and I like it a lot. I want to have my desk clean so I want to get a Bluetooth one, but I was surprised when I found out that the assortment is VERY limited.

I was considering the mighty mouse, but I was told by my bro that he had issues, with 2 different ones, with the scrolling ball failing...

I was considering the VT470 today and I was about to get it, but the stores were closed.

Im not sure if Bluetooth provides a smooth tracking as a wired mouse might, that concerns me a bit.

I dont want the mouse to play, but perhaps to engage in photo editing every once in a while. Would you recommend the 470 for desktop? I dont want it to move it around and stuff.

Thanks

3. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

In response, the v470 is sensitive enough to be used as photoediting, but I do find the bluetooth going to sleep after a minute of no usage. It turns on immediately once the mouse is used, I haven't done any graphics editing ever since I got this mouse besides Maya but I constantly move the mouse in that program so it wasn't a problem for me. Bluetooth is very convenient but if you can wait, I would hold off on purchasing a bluetooth until I receive the Kensington and review it. So you don't have to spend the money since I already did. They have shipped my Kensington today, so it's just a matter of a week or 2 before I receive mine.

I use the Mighty Mouse at school and it the trackball doesn't work very well since there's too much gunk in there. Trying to use the trackball as a middle click is definitely a pain as you would click the left or right buttons accidentally than you would the trackball, I don't recommend the Mighty Mouse.

I have not tried the Microsoft 5000 bluetooth mouse before but the bulkiness doesn't draw my attention and I don't want to use Microsoft products. Not ever since the Intellimouse 2.0.

Right now if you can't wait, I would definitely recommend the VX Nano from Logitech, although that is USB but it is the best mouse I've used by far. I'm just so inclined on freeing up the 2 usb ports on my AMB that I will go for a bluetooth mouse...if only I had another usb port on the side of the optical drive...sigh

4. meekgeek macrumors newbie

I've written up some of my experiences on the V470 on my blog:

http://meekgeek.tumblr.com/post/46306016/logitech-v470-bluetooth-mouse-woes

Its overall as decent a mouse as Bluetooth technology can get, but you'll have to be using it near the Mac to prevent signal lag issues and to use it often so that the aggressive sleep mode doesn't kick in.

The Wireless Mighty Mouse doesn't have the above issues as the V470, so its possible for Bluetooth mice to give a better user experience. It all depends on how well the manufacturer implements their power saving and Bluetooth antenna.

However, the main niggle with the Mighty Mouse is the trackball which ultimately loses traction and stop working in one direction, until it ultimately dies and not work at all.

Kensington Slimblade also has a trackball version. I haven't tried this but there are some complaints of the trackball giving up after some time of use as well.

5. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

thanks meek for the link, the Kensington that I'm getting is the bluetooth presenter mouse, it uses a scrollwheel not the trackball, I hope it's a great mouse because the aggressive sleep mode on the V470 is annoying to say the least

6. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

7. manuel.mx macrumors member

I've been considering the Revolution MX from logitech.... But it is not Bluetooth. Yet they sell a bluetooth version, but it comes bundled with a keyboard and it costs like 130 online, 150 in brick & mortar.... Its wayyyyyyyyy to much for just a mouse. I have already an apple wireless keyboard and i love it, so I dont need another.... Damn

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I just gave up on Bluetooth mice. I started with an Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse since I liked how it matched my Apple Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard and my Macbook Aluminum in style and looks. The keyboard rocks but the mouse was nowhere near the smoothness I'm used to coming from a wired Microsoft Sidewinder gaming mouse on my desktop. It didn't really lag or have much of a delay but it felt like I was using like a first generation optical mouse. Battery life was excellent, the mouse slept fine and woke my computer fine, but the experience was nowhere near a current generation mouse. Also after a while you find having to lift your left finger all the time to right click slows down productivity. With all other mice you can keep your left finger resting on the left button while you right click. Eventually decided out of all Apple products, the bluetooth mouse just isn't up to par.

Switched to a Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse to try and keep the matching white/aluminum look. I had all the issues that were posted in that link above, AND the dumb mouse would try to start sleeping after only 5 seconds of inactivity. Whoever designed that mouse must have been dumb as a brick because unless you're constantly moving the mouse, you get this incredibly annoying 1 inch skip if you stop moving the cursor and then start moving it again after 5 seconds. Most retarded thing I've ever experienced and made me pretty much give up on Bluetooth mice. I've heard fairly good things about the Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 mouse but after those first two mice, I didn't want to get burned again, not to mention the Microsoft one looks as ugly as sin.

So I looked for the best USB one I could find, with the smallest USB adapter, and I settled on the Logitech VX Nano mouse. The difference is like night and day. This thing feels like a wired gaming mouse. It's incredibly smooth, is absolutely lag free, skip free, and retarded-aggressive-sleepmode free.

It's also the smoothest gliding mouse I've yet owned, with I think are Teflon pads. Incredibly lightweight as well. The only disadvantage I can think of is the thing requires that small USB dongle, so it's not as convenient as the dongle free bluetooth mice, but the tradeoff isn't worth it. A bluetooth mouse is like using a 5 year old windows box. The Nano is like using the best mouse technology available today.

Save yourself the pain and don't bother with bluetooth mice until they update the technology with bluetooth 3.0 and the mice don't suck so bad.

For reference I also own the Logitech MX Revolution, The Logitech G7, a few Microsoft Intellimouse Explorers, and about a zillion other various mice in my quest for the perfect mouse. Out of them all I prefer this VX Nano for everything. It's even replaced my Sidewinder on my desktop.

9. miniovechkin8 macrumors newbie

dont get a kensington...i bought a keyboard and mouse combo and the keys were popping off and the USB is like a brick compared to logitech USB;s.

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

My only concern with the VX Revolution would be the size of the usb adapter. It'd be fine in a desktop machine but something that big would be like having a usb drive jammed into the side of your notebook when you wanted to use the mouse. Too easy for it to get accidentally ripped out/warped/etc.

12. manuel.mx macrumors member

I bought the MX 5500 keyboard/mouse set. It includes the MX Revolution in the bluetooth version and im eager to test it. Ill let you know how it goes.

Logitech has a few offering with the "nano receiver" which is a very very small adapter that is ok to handle around, yet it uses a usb port.

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I am secretly hoping that the bluetooth version of the MX Revolution that you have sucks, because if it rocks I might have to give bluetooth another try.

Woops did I say that out loud?

14. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

too late already purchased the Kensington bluetooth and on its way to my house, I'll give it a chance since it's a mouse, as for the usb mouses, reason I'm getting bluetooth is because of the ports avalibiity, so anything usb is out of the question. Or I'd just keep my VX Nano Logitech one.

15. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

Alright i received the Kensington Bluetooth Presenter Mouse and here is my take on it. The form and design of the mouse is perfectly matched to the aluminum macbook and just as thick as the macbook closed. On hand, it is a little too thin for long comfort but I did get used to it. There is no software install so its just connect and play...very fast connection and doesn't go to sleep nearly as much as the logitech. The buttons and scrollwheel is a bit on the harder side to press but quieter than the Logitech. I like it since I don't accidentally click on the right mouse button. The presentation mode is very easy to switch over to, just double click the mode button and double click again to switch back to mouse operation. The mouse has a good weight to it after the battery is installed so it doesn't feel too heavy or light, just right IMO. Overall it's a very nice portable mouse and lag time is almost non existent. I definitely give this mouse a solid 8.5/10! the 1.5 is due to the thinness of the mouse not being super comfy for 4+hrs of use. check it out!