Logitech VX Nano or Apple Magic mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ri0ku, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Sorry guys this is the 2nd thread about mice for me now... After realising that the MX revolution mouse with the nano reciever is the "performance" edition which costs a hefty £80... i dont want to pay that much for a mouse.. im a uni student after all and cant really afford to waste money.

I need a mouse to replace the mighty mouse I have no which the scroll ball and mouse overall is irratating me to no end..

I am a video games design/art student and 3ds max is my main tool... i need a decent mouse.

So now that I wont be getting the MX revolution (the one I original intended to get for like £50 but realised it had a massive USB reciever with it and the performance edition with the nano reciever is £80)

What would you recomend as a mouse with a small or nano reciever or even bluetooth?

So far im looking at the VX Nano or magic mouse from apple (Magic mouse is only £49.50 using student discount) and the nano is around £40

Im worried that the nano is going to be too small for my hands...

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

did you try cleaning the MM?

Turn upside down on a sheet of plain paper and roll it around

Mice are a totally personal choice, buy whatever you think fits best in your hand

Everyone in the last thread loved the MX, I hate it. My employees love the MM, I hate it too.

3. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

That cleaning technique only works for about 30 mins until the ball stops functioning again.. very poor build quality on apples part.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you just need to wash your hands more often =)

Have you tried taking it to an Apple store?

They might replace it for free if you are nice and the mouse looks in decent shape...

5. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought the mouse off ebay so it has no original box and im sure its out of waranty now. But its no longer worth my time or effort the build is rubbish it only will happen again...

Im thinking to go for the vx nano.. im just a little concerned its going to be too small since its smaller than the mighty mouse..

The magic mouse looks cool and its design makes it less likely to break etc but again apple havnt really had any luck with designing a decent mouse.. and from what I read many people are annoyed with how low the mouse is.

6. NSMonkey macrumors regular

I have a Magic Mouse and it's the best mouse I've ever used. The momentum scrolling is fast, effortless and controllable; the build is rock solid and the physical design is beautiful. Apple literally advanced the "state of the mouse" with this device and lots of imitations (and some improvements, no doubt) are sure to follow.

HOWEVER, if you rest your palm on your mouse or desk (which you shouldn't do if you want to avoid repetitive stress injury), I can't recommend it. The low profile would probably kill your hand after a while. If you use a gel pad or otherwise don't put weight on your mouse, it's ideal. It feels like the entire mouse was made with the ergonomically correct "floating" position in mind.

Right clicking is weird at first because you have to lift your index finger off the surface. But, again, it soon feels natural and requires very little effort if your hand is in the floating position while it would be really awkward if your wrist was jammed down on the desk.

So if it fits your hand position, you'll probably love it. Otherwise, stick with something more conventional like the Logitech.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I actually switched from the vx nano to the magic mouse. No receiver is excellent and the MM is bigger and I like it much much better. Its seriously my favorite mouse.

That being said: I hated it for the first hour I had it and thought I wasted my money, then I warmed to it, now I freaking love it.

Also, one of the best things you can do is download "Better Touch Tool.' It enables many more options then the standard Apple options. I used BTT to enable a third mouse button when modeling in Maya.

Co-workers of mine also ended up liking the MM so they ordered them as well. Its the first Apple mouse I have been happy with.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

VX Nanos are perfect for Macs rather than PCs, since Macs are just better designed for multitasking. I have all those buttons set to something useful, such as Exposé, Spaces, scrolling up or down a webpage, and a button for "Apple + T" (to open up new tabs).

I can't think of a better mouse to go with a Mac, except perhaps the MX. However, I carry my VX Nano with me everywhere, including other countries. It's great that the tiny receiver can actually be stored inside the mouse when not in use. Very useful when travelling.

9. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

The VX Nano, or my personal favourite which is the MX1000.

The MM is very flat, if you use it for a significant period of time you may find it's very unconfortable.

I suggest you go to a shop where you can test out the MM for a while. It took about 20 mins at the Apple store before i realised my wrist was uncomfortable and trying the swipe left and right wasn't achieveable on the first attempt.

M.

10. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have the VX nano and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't tried the Magic Mouse to know if it's better or not but the reason for that is because I can't justify purchasing the MM when the Nano is perfect for my tasks. :)

11. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I,too, have the vx nano. Even though it is small, once you get used to it, it's a great mouse. Not only is it configurable, but it is very portable. In fact, I just leave the tiny receiver in the USB port, even while traveling.

For me, Apple makes great computers, but they make lousy mice.

12. 1ne macrumors regular

I have try the might mouse and the magic mouse. Each time ended up returning it. It's just way too uncomfortable. Hurts my forearm. 2 thumbs down for me...

13. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I've got an unusual setup, but one that satisfies wanting a nice portable Logitech mouse with the nano receiver that's not as tiny as the Nano -- I'm using a VX Revolution mouse with a VX Nano receiver. The Revolution is very similar to the Nano and still very portable, but isn't as small and has a more comfortable shape (and is somewhat cheaper to boot). The Revolution is easily the best portable mouse I've ever used except for the included USB receiver that can easily get snapped off a laptop and can't really be left plugged in. Recent models of the Revolution will work with the Nano's receiver, however -- I ordered a Revolution off Amazon, a replacement Nano receiver from Logitech, and got them to pair with the Logitech connection utility and now just leave the nano receiver in my MacBook. I use this setup for many hours a day and have been quite happy with it.