Logitech VX Revolution w/ OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bboucher790, Aug 10, 2008.

1. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

I gotta say, I've read some bad stories surrounding this mouse w/ OSX. I've used many mice with OSX and to much dismay, have never been satisfied. One of my issues with OSX vs. Windows has been mouse tracking. Windows always seemed more precise, regardless of what mouse / software I used. I've used the Mighty Mouse, Bluetooth Apple Mouse, Logitech G7, a cheap Kensington Corded mouse, and now finally, the Logitech VX Revolution.

One word: Wow.
    Most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Better tracking than a G7 gaming grade mouse. Even the clicks are solid and quiet.

My hands always get my mice dirty. I've been using this mouse for two weeks and I've yet to get dirt or hand grime on it. I haven't been extra careful, I don't know why it's so clean!

I am using Steermouse and a Ratpadz mousepad. Figure I'd share my experience for those looking for a new mouse.

5 out of 5 tails.

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Amen. My favorite mouse.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Really? All I've heard is praise, including my own. The VX Revolution is the best mouse I've ever owned.

4. Mangaroo macrumors regular

well, its good but

1: effort to switch into hyperscroll
    2: rubber on scroll wheel will likely expand and drag the wheel in hyperscroll mode in the future (solved by snipping a mm or two).

Other then that, my fav mouse.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

It's the best cordless I've ever used, and works perfectly with OS X with steermouse. That said, I still prefer my corded MX518.

6. bboucher790 thread starter macrumors 65816

bboucher790

Well a lot of people out there love the mouse, but I've read bad things about it w/ OSX specifically. I didn't even try Logitech's software since I already liked Steermouse.

But yea, it's good to know other OSX users like it. I read horror stories about it before I got it.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the mouse works great. i have it and its very comfortable.

the problem was, that for awhile, Logitech's drivers were horribly implemented and depended on a hack to fun, which caused instability for many, which is why there were complaints. this has been remedied though and things are fine.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I've also heard horror stories about this mouse when used with the logitech software, specifically I've heard of tons of kernel panics that the logitech software causes.

Don

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

as i said, that used to be the case. at least it used to be when LCC used Application Enhancer to run. LCC no longer uses Application Enhancer and has been trouble free for me since then.

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

what program are you guys using? don't you have to pay for steermouse?

11. mtfield macrumors 6502

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

yes

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

USB Overdrive works too, but i find neither are needed anymore.

yes.

14. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Heh, I ordered one on eBay because everyone said it was a good mouse. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow.

It seemed really small compared to the MX Revolution though when I went to Best Buy to look at it. Do you guys find that it feels too small for your hands?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I wanted a Bluetooth mouse, but Logitech has very few options, none of which I cared for. I opted for the VX Nano, with the smallest dongle on the market. I can leave it plugged in all the time, even in a sleeve. I use the Logitech Control Center (as I've used Logitech software for all my mice over the past 7+ years) and I've never had a single problem with it.

The only mice I ever buy is Logitech.

16. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Ok my mouse came in the mail just today, and so far I love this thing. Very comfortable mouse. The size really well as a notebook mouse.

17. hmai18 macrumors 6502

It feels fine to me. There's a nice thumb groove which isn't as big as the MX Revolution, but is still enough. I don't palm my mice, so it's a good size for me.

I didn't go for the VX Nano because I wanted the scroll wheel to function as a middle click. The downside is that the middle click on this thing is pretty stiff.

18. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

My wife's been using a VX Revolution with her Dell laptop which she just got rid of in favor of a new aluminum Macbook. The VX works just fine, and once the Logitech Control Center is installed (available from their site) all the buttons function as they should. If you have small hands, or need a mouse that's portable, I'd recommend it.

19. kinasko macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just got the vx revolution yesterday (not nano) and i seem to have an issue with the tracking on OSX.

it's when i move it slow, it just jumps for 1-2 cm. and it's every 5cm i drag it this happens. VERY annoying when working in photoshop and final cut pro.

when I use it with windows xp it's super precise. no problems at all.

Do you have an idea what could cause this? im new to mac/osx.

i've installed the logitech controlcenter.

it's a mac book pro.