Logitech Webcam

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stockcerts, Oct 13, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought a new Logitech webcam for my iMac. I've realized that it's not compatible and may never work. It's the first time I've ever hooked up a piece of hardware to my Mac and it hasn't recognized it.

Does anyone know if there are any good third party drivers that will work with the webcam? Thought I saw one for sale a while back that would give you the option to switch between the built in cam and an external cam.

Thanks!

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Logitech makes many webcams. Which one did you get?

The only third party driver I've tried is Macam. Worked for my webcam.

3. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I got the Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX USB 961464. I did download Macam, but I'm not sure if I installed it correctly as it doesn't seem to work. Is there a special place it needs to be installed to as far as folder structure is concerned? Thanks!

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Make sure that whatever application is using your webcam is the ONLY app using it. Did Macam list your Logitech camera in its collection of drivers? I looked using the details you've provided, but sourceforge couldn't find the camera. A review on Google said PC-compatible, nothing about Mac.

A couple of things I've found with my Logitech Q'cam Go:
    1. The camera must be connected before opening Skype (for example)
    2. In Skype, the camera image does not show in Prefs until connecting or connected to a contact.

Edit: forgot to add that the macam component must be in MacHD > Library > Quicktime folder. Installing the macam driver should have prompted you to put it there anyway.

5. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll check the list tonight. I know the built in webcam on IMacs is seen as a feature, but I wish it wasn't there. I like the flexibility of having a webcam that's not in a fixed position.

Thanks!

6. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I got Macam to work! My only problem, if you're on a web based cam site how do you tell the site to use your external web cam as opposed to the built in cam.

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Assuming you're using Leopard on an Intel system, I guess the iSight camera setting is in the SysPrefs somewhere. I can't really help you there.

However if, for example, you're using Skype, the camera setting is in Skype > Prefs > Video. If your camera is connected and on before you launch Skype, you should be presented in the Prefs > Video with a selection of the cameras detected on your Mac.

As for other applications using webcam interface, my guess is that selection of camera will be in that particular app's prefs.

8. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't found any setting to specify using an external webcam as opposed to the built in cam.

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I don't wish to be nosy, but could you give us some indication of where you're browsing such that you want to transmit your camera capture to that site/those sites. I'd like to try my Logitech setup with Firefox, simply to see what happens.

An Afterthought - go to SysProfiler > USB to see if in fact your external camera is being recognised by the OS.

10. RRutter macrumors 6502

Try MacCam.

Also, there's already a similar post for this.. Before you post, just try out Mroogle.

But yes, try MacCam. It's supposed to have support for windowze webcams, and old-skool webcams to work with Macs. Good Luck Mate!!

11. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Good tips about the thread and searching before posting. Ironically, the first reply in this thread already suggested Macam, and most other posts here refer to it too. ;)

...now MacCam may of course be something completely unrelated to macam, but I doubt it.

12. RRutter macrumors 6502

Nope it isn't, sorry, I didn't realize someone already suggested macam.