Logitech Wireless Wave desktop combo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Arkangil, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

Anyone have any experience with this set? It claims to be Mac friendly. I would prefer a Bluetooth set but the MX5500 is not Mac friendly.

Just looking for a base for when I am connected to my external monitor. Need the numberpad, hence no Apple product. I am a casual gamer as well, but nothing crazy, or even that new. Currently playing NWN2 and Civ4.

Everyone tells me the MX Revolution is one of the best on the market, but then I cannot find a good keyboard to go with it.

So, Logitech Wireless Wave, worth the $80Cdn to get it?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

It is a little out of my price range, but more to the point, it is missing the number pad. Because of some of the work I do, the number pad is a requirement for me.

I really like your review though, and it does make me want to splurge on the Revolution.

I think I need to stick with the Wireless Wave for the time being though. Any experience there?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yeah the number pad is annoying, but the trackpad is soo cool (although not really that functional)

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Just curious why you say this. Pretty much any mouse and keyboard will work with a mac even if you have to use 3rd party drivers (steermouse is awesome). I would not discount the MX5500 if I were you.

6. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know what steermouse is, but now I would like to find out. Unfortunately, you have just given me a reason to spend much more than I wanted!

I had simply read some reviews via google stating that the MX5500 combo was not a good choice for a Mac user, as a number of the features you couldn't use. I may be wrong.

I think I would like to give the Wave a try, based on price.

Hey! I'm no longer a newbie, I'm a full fledged member! Awesome!

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well if price is a big issue then the wave looks like a nice set (haven't used it though). Steermouse and USB Overdrive are 3rd party programs that give you full control over all the buttons on your mouse regardless of whether the manufacturer supports it. I have used steermouse with logitech mice for years and it is absolutely perfect.

I don't think it works with keyboards though. The basic keyboard functions would definitely work but I don't know how you'd get the advanced functions to work.

8. khirok macrumors newbie

I have been using the MX5500 combo for a few years now and have no complaints other than the RF can be kind of skittish at times, but if you pull the receiver up to about a foot away from the keyboard and mouse it works flawlessly.

9. Arkangil thread starter macrumors regular

I actually went out and bought the wave last night. Got a good price on it. Best Buy sells it for $125 and Canada Computers sells it for about $80. After the price match I paid $76 plus tax. Can't complain about that!

I haven't set it up yet as I was busy setting up my airport extreme last night, but I'll get to it tonight.

Thanks for all the advice!