Logitech Z-4 Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powz, Oct 1, 2007.

1. powz macrumors regular

Does anyone have experience with these? I'm looking for a good set of speakers to hook up to my Macbook. I did a Google search on them but reviews are scarce.

Thanks!

2. Alloye macrumors 6502a

I have a set. They're pretty good for the money ($60-$70 online). To me, they sound better than the various JBL/Harman offerings. I also think they sound more balanced and have better midrange than the ultra powerful Z-2300s.

3. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm actually trying to decide between these and the Soundsticks II. I read your comments in the other thread that you think the Z-4 is better, which is good 'cause they cost about half as much. I know it's really a subjective call, but can you be more specific as to why you like them more?

And any more experiences/reviews on the Z-4 (or other Mac-related speakers) would be much appreciated!

4. Alloye macrumors 6502a

My biggest gripe with the Soundsticks is that they only sound good when you're dead-center between them with the satellites aimed perfectly at your ears. Go off axis at all and they begin to sound dull and muffled.

The Z-4s, on the other hand, are far more forgiving in terms of listening position. They also have a more capable sub than the Soundsticks as well as an excellent wired remote.

If you want loud, then the Z-2300s are another set worth considering. These things will rock the house for sure! Just keep in mind that volume isn't everything. The Z-2300s have both thunderous bass and a very pronounced hole in the upper midrange that I feel makes them more suitable to games and movies rather than music.

Of course, the standard disclaimer applies to any speaker discussion. The only way to know what you'll like is to hear them yourself. I guess that's why I've gone through so many sets over the years. :)

5. emil2007 macrumors newbie

I have some Z2300's - I'm not really competent to judge the quality of the sound - it sounds good to me - but they have a really powerful bass, and it's not possible to turn it off, you can only turn it down a bit. It's a bit of a problem as it means I can't listen to anything at nighttime without disturbing people in other rooms.

Emil

6. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies!

Emil brings up an interesting point about the loudness of the bass. How loud are the Z-4s and Soundsticks and how adjustable are their subs? I'd like to be able to listen to my music, etc. at night without waking everyone up.