Logitech z-5500 and Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macsander, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

HI!

I Have an Imac and want to buy the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers.
    I would like to know how you connect the speakers digital, using an optical cable/port.
    I want it optical because the sound is much better this way but how do you connect it without losing speakers. So when I listen music with Itunes I have full 5.1 sound. I know there are optical to 3.5mm jack cables but I have read that you lose the 5.1 this way?

I have an Imac 5g with these ports: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86813

I would be extremely happy if someone could help me out!:)

Kind regards,
    Sander

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

im unsure on your situtation as the z5500 does have Aux by the looks of it

but, what i do on my macbook with 5.1 logitech G51 (1 down from z5500)

its use 3.5mm jack to red/white port 3.5mm and set on my controler it has 5.1 mode. to convert it into 5.1 it does a really good,

by looks of my searching yours does not have aux but dightal :(

3. tuzik macrumors newbie

hey

hey,
    i had the same questions, and could not find the answer, so i just bought the Z-5500 speakers and figured it out for my self and for people like me, i posted a video on youtube with instructions on how to hook things up, hope it helped you and feel free to share it with other people on forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkF_hC7H5UM

sorry for my English, i'm from Russia.
    my Accent is well........................LOL :)
    and yah i have it hooked up to my 3.5 mm jack couse i dont want to buy any other things, the speakers were expensive enough:)
    and it does not make much difference cos itunes does not support surround sound so sry!