Logitech z-5500 and Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsander, Feb 18, 2008.

1. macsander macrumors regular

macsander

HI!

I Have an iMac and want to buy the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers.
    I would like to know how you connect the speakers digital, using an optical cable/port.
    I want it optical because the sound is much better this way but how do you connect it without losing speakers. So when I listen music with Itunes I have full 5.1 sound. I know there are optical to 3.5mm jack cables but I have read that you lose the 5.1 this way?

I have an Imac 5g with these ports: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86813

I would be extremely happy if someone could help me out!

Kind regards,
    Sander

2. macdim macrumors 6502

Your iTunes music won't be 5.1 because it is Stereo to begin with. If you play a DVD, it should allow 5.1 sound to be output. You'll need a 3.5mm mono to single RCA cable, and you'll need to plug this RCA cable into the COAX input of the z-5500. This will give you a digital signal to the speakers. For iTunes music to be played through all the speakers, look for a "stereo x 2" or something like that on the speakers themselves.

3.5mm to optical will work the same basic way.

3. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

Yeah that would be the same as an optical ->3.5mm jack cable, that's just fine but I have read that The middle front speaker won't work when you put the settings to 'stereo X2'
    Do I maybe need an external sound card or does it just word with the optical ->3.5mm jack cable, and get Itunes trough all the speakers?

Thanks!

4. macdim macrumors 6502

You won't get the center channel playing anything in stereo x 2 mode, but I'm fairly sure the z-5500s have a ProLogic Music setting. This setting will sort of change your music into 5.1, but it will be simulated. You may not like it, so I suggest using stereo x 2 if you really want the music to "surround" you. Having the center channel off for music playback isn't that big of an issue, and it'll still work when watching a movie.

5. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

For music, you won't need the center channel if your speakers are at least 45-60 degrees apart (the base of the inverted triangle starts at the listening position). Move them, then toe them in slightly toward you. This will give you a proper stereo image and the dialog/music will appear to come from between the left and right speakers (running in stereo only mode).

6. macsander thread starter macrumors regular

macsander

7. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

on my old logitech 5.1 system, i think the z-5300(about 2-3 years ago now) there was a switch on the back of the sub to switch between 2.1, 4.1, or 5.1. If I remember right, to get it to play through all five speakers when connected to a single audio output like on the iMac you had to switch it to 2.1. I don't even know if that is at all what you are asking, but hopefully it helps some.:apple: