Logmein alternatives

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jmmo20, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I currently use Back to my mac to connect my macs away from home, but often I use windows machines (e.g.: work) where obviously there's no icloud or back to my mac.

so right up until now I've been using logmein free. Since the royal screw up yesterday I'm wondering how can I replace LMI functionality.

What are you guys using to connect to your macs from a windows machine?
    I want it to be as safe as possible...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

3. maflynn, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

TeamViewer is probably the only free option at this point since Logmein dropped the free version.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. dyn macrumors 68030

I'm using ssh, vnc and teamviewer to connect to my Mac(s) from other machines. I use ssh mostly for copying files (long live winscp!) and my sync scripts; vnc is more an alternative to things like teamviewer (it has crappy performance compared to teamviewer).

6. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

You guys all work for teamviewer lol. Teamviwers greatest assets is it just works. But its slow. No where near what logmein is if thats what your used to. Splashtop is just as fast as logmein. Free inside network 2 bucks or so a month for outside. remotix is just as fast (I currently use that). And jump desktop is a good one if outside your network is what your after. Easy setup. Remotix works outside network too but not a easy setup. I bought and tried them all. Now that logmein is dead to most Remotix is the best in my book. It has everything including speed. The only thing its missing is easy outside network setup.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just started to use TeamViewer, and don't have any issues with it.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I stated in another thread, like many, many others, I've used TeamViewer for several years and have never had any issues with slow performance. Unless the remote computer is on a slow internet connection, the response time is the same as if I was sitting in front of the remote computer. Your individual experience doesn't apply to everyone who uses the app, which is not inherently slow in performance.

9. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I'm going to download it again right now and confirm again.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Teamviewer has always been fast enough for me and does all I really need
    That may not be the case for everyone, but it is free, so try it yourself and see

11. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I stand corrected. I obviously did not spend enough time in the settings before. It does appear to be just as fast as logmein now. Is there a sound setting I'm misssing somewhere? Can sound played on my computer come through the app?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer > Preferences > Remote control > Play computer sounds and music

13. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Nope I have that set and still nada

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

15. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

16. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Huh well something funking going on. There are 30 other threads I read people saying the same problem. Must be some combo of settings

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

is the remote computer on Windows or OS X?

18. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

OS X Mavericks 2013 imac

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm guessing it's possible there may be an incompatibility with Mavericks that may be resolved by a future release of either TeamViewer or OS X. I haven't encountered that problem.