LogMeIn "ghost process"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sp4rked, Jul 8, 2013.

1. sp4rked macrumors newbie

I recently installed LogMeIn, then fully uninstalled it because I realized I needed LogMeIn Hamachi instead. However, in my Activity Monitor, there is still a process listed as LogMeIn, and no matter what I do, it refuses to quit or force quit. I have tried using a kill command, and it denies me permission. Any ideas on how to remove this pest? I would just leave it, but it is taking up .8% of my RAM, which is a big deal to me.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)
    • /Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
    • ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)
    • /Library/StartupItems/ (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

Then restart your computer and follow the instructions below. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. sp4rked thread starter macrumors newbie

Additionally, there is not a single file with "LogMeIn" or "LMI" on my computer, I have thoroughly checked. Also the LogMeIn menubar starts back up every time I quit from it. I am incredibly concerned that these programs will never be able to be removed, as I have tried nearly everything. There is nothing I can find on my computer. NOTHING. No files, no bits and pieces of the program, just the menubar item and the processes.

Here's the activity window: http://i.imgur.com/xWfZkge.png

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You obviously missed something, or you wouldn't have the issues you're having. Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"All My Files" is not a location, but rather a search result. It's not the same as searching your entire hard drive. Click on Macintosh HD, and try your search from there. Also, change your search term to "LogMeIn", rather than "LMI".

6. sp4rked thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I got it! Thanks for your help. I'll restart my computer in a bit, and make sure everything comes up Millhouse.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I just uninstalled Logmein from my MBA... because as far as I could tell... there was no way to "keep it off". After every reboot... logmein would reactivate itself.

By using the uninstall button within the application itself... it seemed to completely remove itself including the background process.

If it comes back. Re-install it to your computer... open the LogMeIn application.... navigate around until you find the "uninstall" button... and from there you should be all set.

/Jim