LogMeIn Ignition $14.99.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by LaurieAnn, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Logmein has file transfer capabilities which splashtop doesn't. Also, logmein's WOL works where as splashtop never works for me.

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I highly recommend LogMeIn Ignition, I use it all the time and always works great. I haven't tried any other applications like it though.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I use LogMeIn daily for work, for various things with our network.
    I love it, and I'd recommend it 110% it's easy to use, easy to learn just all around awesome:D

5. LaurieAnn thread starter macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

?

Is a subscription required or do you just pay for the app one time and have unlimited access?

7. BCurry1 macrumors member

Purchased. I have been waiting for this app to go on sale for a long time.

8. ScoutDad macrumors member

Yeah, I pulled the trigger too. At $15, too good to pass up based on all the good reviews I had read in the past. And it works great! I was never able to connect to my work desktop with Splashtop, but now I can with LMI and did not even have to fuss with it!! Also I like the interface much better. A win, win!!

To answer another posters question, they give you a 30 day trial to their "pro" version of their desktop software that does more. Although for me I reverted back to the "free" version and it does all I need - like controlling the desktop and copying files from the desktop to my iPad.

All in all, it is an awesome app!

9. info macrumors member

info

This is a very good deal, a no-brainer. I've never seen them go this low.

10. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I have used logmein, team viewer, and splash top. Logmein stinks I thought it was the worst and from the reviews I am not alone. Teamviewer is good and free but Splashtop HD is the best and very cheap. You can watch video and hear sound from splashtop. Logmein was choppy.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

From what I've read Splashtop does audio but Logmein does not. I'm leaning towards Splashtop.

12. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I almost bought it...but I was curious as to the differences between the free and Pro versions...quick visit to their site and their forums...it looks as though there a few issues with Logmein and OSX 10.7(10.7.1)...
    The deal is great though...I'm going to hold off until there's a viable fix for Lion

Is anyone else successfully running it with 10.7?

----------

Also, I didn't see a decent explanation of the differences between the free and pro versions...anyone know?

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It had some issues with Lion for the first couple days. It has since been fixed and works perfect.

14. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

15. solaris7 macrumors regular

I can't decide between this and jump desktop!!!! Someone help!

16. calvy macrumors 65816

I like logmein because I never have to worry about what kind of firewall the computer I am trying to control is behind. But hey, that's just me.

It is slower, and perhaps a bit laggy. But I can tolerate that. Who the hell is trying to watch video via a remote desktop feed?

17. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I always wonder the same thing, apparently a lot of people try it though.

18. Usual macrumors member

I am not sure but team viewer is working faster..

19. CAScading macrumors newbie

Back to school special or competition

Jump Desktop lowered the price to $9.99 last Friday.
    Purchased for the remote AirPrint features.
    Price seems to constantly Jumping.

20. RayK macrumors 6502

21. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

+1 on how much I am glad I bought ignition while it was on sale. It works well to both Mac and PC and performance is good, even on 3G.

22. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I wouldn't recommend LogMeIn if you care about the security of the remote machine (and are accessing a Mac).

LogMeIn on a Mac literally unlocks the desktop and wakes the display so anyone at the remote location can see what you're doing and use the machine, it also leaves it unlocked when you disconnect. If you're connecting to a Windows machine this problem doesn't exist.

LogMeIn have been aware of the issue for years and have no intention to fix it.

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

On my Mac I fixed this by setting up a hot corner to put the display to sleep when I'm done using LogMeIn. A password us required to begin using the computer after the display is asleep. When I'm done with LogMeIn I just move the mouse to my hot corner and the display sleeps.

24. info, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

info macrumors member

info

It's what I suspected of all these programs; but, it's disturbing to hear even though I am using Windows. Doesn't Logmein unlock the desktop on Windows as well making it just as vulnerable? I suppose that keeping inside a VPN *at all times* while in public places is the rule.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

free

this is really only the case with the FREE pc/mac client app, and actually only on the mac client. On the pc client and with their pro clients, you can keep the screen blacked out and even login in the background.